An introduction to data science
In a global marketplace built on data collection, targeted communication strategies, machine learning and artificial intelligence, it’s not enough to gather information and crunch the numbers; you have to know how to apply that data to real-life scenarios in a way that will impact behaviour. That’s what makes Bond University’s Master of Business Data Analytics so unique: First you learn the technical skills, including R and Python languages most commonly used in the development of data programming; then you focus on the practical application, based on actual business problems in a range of industry sectors such as health, marketing and finance. In Bond’s trademark small classes, you’ll be mentored by Australia’s leading economists, statisticians, financial analysts and mathematicians with immediate access to the very latest technologies in the Centre for Actuarial and Financial Big Data Analytics. Working in tandem with Bond Business School’s specialists in entrepreneurship, management and marketing, they’ll prepare you for a rewarding career, tailored to the future.
Students who have successfully completed cognate undergraduate programs may be eligible for advanced standing of up to 40 credit points towards the Master of Business Data Analytics program.
The Future Of Work: Occupation and Education Trends 2018 Report by Deloitte Access Economics shows:
- The number of data science workers in Australia will increase by 2.4% annually
- 76% of businesses are planning to increase investment in analytics capabilities over the next two years
- Australian data scientists who have completed postgraduate study will have an average annual income of $130,176 in 2021-22
- Further study in this area can build core technical competencies for individuals currently employed in other areas to pivot towards data-related roles, new career opportunities and accelerated progression to senior roles
- The growing demand for data science skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data, particularly in applications of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries
- The proliferation of new and existing technology platforms including augmented and virtual reality has contributed to this growth in big data
Try before you apply with a Postgraduate Test Drive
A Test Drive gives you the opportunity take a postgraduate degree for a spin and sample what your student experience would be like at Bond. Come and talk to us about your career goals and how we can tailor a journey to help you achieve them.
As part of Bond University's 30th Anniversary celebrations in 2019, we are offering a number of partial tuition fee scholarships to high achieving domestic students applying to commence postgraduate studies at Bond University in 2019 or 2020.
Meet Professor of Data Science Steven Stern
- No prior experience in analytics or programming is required
- Learn technical skills, including R and Python languages most commonly used in the development of data programming
- Focus on the practical application, based on actual business problems in a range of industry sectors such as health, marketing and finance
- Gain immediate access to the very latest technologies in the Centre for Actuarial and Financial Big Data Analytics
About the program
Data Analytics has become one of the highest growth areas of academic and commercial practice. With applications in nearly all aspects of quantitative endeavours and information management, a skillset in analytics, statistical and machine learning is highly valued and sought after. The Master of Business Data Analytics is delivered via smaller classes providing personalised support and unparalleled access to Bond University's Macquarie Trading Room and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Show more
Data Analytics has become one of the highest growth areas of academic and commercial practice. With applications in nearly all aspects of quantitative endeavours and information management, a skillset in analytics, statistical and machine learning is highly valued and sought after. The Master of Business Data Analytics is delivered via smaller classes providing personalised support and unparalleled access to Bond University's Macquarie Trading Room and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Focus within this program is on strategically sound recommendations and data-driven business decisions. Show less
|Duration||4 semesters (1 year 4 months)|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Business and Commerce|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
Master of Business Data Analytics students must complete the following seven subjects:
- ECON71-200 Econometrics
- INFT71-122 Business Analytics Coding
- INFT71-216 Data Science
- INFT71-223 Machine Learning in Business
- INFT71-326 Statistical Learning and Regression Models
- INFT71-327 Advanced Big Data Projects and Case Study
- STAT71-112 Quantitative Methods
Plus 2 Business Electives (20CP) from the list below
Plus 3 Analytic Electives (30CP) from the list below
The below fees are based on an average per semester cost, fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester:
- 2019 fees: $14,345 per semester (based on 3 subjects per semester)
- 2020 fees: $14,860 per semester (based on 3 subjects per semester)
Price may vary depending on elective discipline choice.
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than if you went to another university.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
Academic entry requirements
Entry into the Master of Business Data Analytics requires the completion of an undergraduate degree or equivalent in any business discipline. If previous bachelor degree is not related to business, we recommend you first complete the 4 subject Graduate Certificate of Business which can then be credited into the full Master of Business Data Analytics.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information