Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and support for the Bond community. Read more

Research ethics

Human research ethics

If you want to undertake research with or about people, or their data or tissue, you must give serious thought about how best to conduct your research so that it espouses the principles of research merit and integrity, justice, beneficence and respect.

In Australia, researchers must gain approval from an accredited Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) before they can undertake human research, and Bond University’s Human Research Ethics Committee (BUHREC) is here to help you translate the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (National Statement) principles into pragmatic and workable strategies for ethically sound research.

BUHREC is committed to protecting the welfare and rights of human participants in research conducted by members of the Bond University community. It promotes ethically, socially, scientifically and legally responsible research activity by all members of our community. Further information on Research Integrity

BUHREC operates a research application and review process to provide ethics approval for research projects ranging from online surveys to clinical trials. Although primarily aimed at providing a service for researchers and students at Bond University, for a small fee BUHREC is happy to review ethics applications from external researchers.

View submission deadlines and meeting dates for BUHREC.

Animal Ethics

Bond University has satisfied the registration requirements of Section 52 of the Animal Care Protection Act 2001 and is registered for the use of animals for scientific purposes.

Bond University seeks ethical approval for animal research for scientific purposes from an External body.

Prior to any research being conducted on animals for scientific purposes, researchers must first liaise with the Research Ethics Manager in Research Services, who will advise on the necessary steps and processes required to complete an Animal Ethics application. Further information on Research Integrity


Enquiries and complaints

Should you have a question, concern or wish to lodge a formal complaint about the conduct of a research project, please contact the Research Ethics Manager or a Research Integrity Adviser.

If you are a researcher with concerns or complaints about the conduct of BUHREC in consideration of your research proposal, please contact the Provost.