COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.

Preparing to go

Enrolling, visas, insurance and accommodation

Upon acceptance into the exchange program and by the overseas institution, you must complete a Request for Bond Enrolment form and email it to [email protected]. The Exchange Office will then liaise with the Student Business Centre to process your enrolment. It is your responsibility to login to eStudent to ensure your enrolment is correct and to notify us of any changes that need to be made.

Your tuition fees will due by Census date as normal, or deferred to FEE-HELP if you have a HELP loan.

Students on a Bond scholarship must maintain full time enrolment (40 credit points) for the duration of their exchange program. Students seeking to enrol in 30 credit points, must be approved by the Student Business Centre prior to departure. Please refer to the Student Handbook, "Division 10 - Scholarships".

Once your application has been accepted and processed by the host institution, they will send you an Official Acceptance Letter, which you need in order to apply for a student visa.

It is recommended to research the visa requirements early, as some countries (such as the US and France) require you to travel interstate to lodge your application in person at the Consulate. Processing times for student visas can be weeks, and there may not be an option to expedite the process.

The Bond Exchange Office does not have the authority to provide visa advice. Please see a travel agent or contact the embassy/consulate of your host country for information.

DFAT visa advice for Australians travelling overseas.

It is important to consider where you may live while you are overseas. The host institution may be able to assist you with finding either on campus, off campus or homestay accommodation, however, it is your responsibility to apply and secure accommodation.

You may also wish to speak to students who have attended the same partner institution in the past to see what accommodation and locations they recommend. Join the Bondies Abroad & Exchange Alumni Facebook group.

Bond provides comprehensive travel insurance that covers all students travelling overseas on exchange (for the duration of the overseas semester as well as one week on either side).

To be covered, email your insurance checklist and proof of the host university semester dates to [email protected] at least two weeks before you depart. The Office of Insurance and Risk will email you confirmation of your insurance cover. Please let us know if you do not receive confirmation before departure.

Please be aware that Bond’s travel insurance policy is not a health insurance policy. It covers medical emergencies, but not routine health checks/doctor’s visits. We recommend students also purchase the host institution’s recommended health insurance plan (often mandatory at US universities).

The Australian Government has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with some countries (eg. Sweden and the UK).

If you have any questions about the Bond Travel Insurance policy, please email Milisa Price at [email protected].

Although flight costs may increase the closer to your departure date, we recommend waiting to book flights until you have your student visa (if required) or a letter of acceptance has been received from the partner institution with recommended arrival dates.

Planning a budget for living overseas, as well as how you will access funds overseas, is important as they will vary from the costs in Australia. Various options are outlined below and it is important to research and choose the best options for you.

  • ATMs (be aware of transaction fees)
  • Credits cards (find card to avoid international transaction fees)
  • Open a foreign bank account and deposit funds

Please also consider the exchange rate and cost of living for your overseas destination to ensure you plan your budget accordingly.

Some costs to consider include:

  • airfares
  • student visa (if required)
  • health insurance
  • travel insurance (for personal travel)
  • accommodation
  • food
  • additional travel
  • entertainment
  • textbooks
  • university/subject fees other than tuition

International students studying their full degree at Bond must ensure that their visa covers the period in which they will study overseas. Failure to do so may result in difficulties upon return to Australia upon completion of your exchange semester. 

International students planning to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) at the completion of their Bond degree, should check the visa eligibility requirements before applying for Exchange.

Please contact the Department of Home Affairs for further advice.

Attend the pre-departure session

We will email you with an invitation to attend the compulsory pre-departure session. It is normally held approx. two months prior to your departure.

Two weeks before you depart: