About the scholarship
- Undergraduate, Postgraduate
Applications for this scholarship for 2019 entry are now closed.
As the official Education Partner of the Qantas Wallabies, Bond University has joined forces with the former Wallabies Captain, John Eales AM, to present this prestigious sporting scholarship which provides an opportunity for an outstanding young rugby union star to be mentored both on and off the field. In line with Bond University’s commitment to nurture the sporting and career aspirations of the leaders of tomorrow, the successful scholar will network with elite athletes, coaches and top-level teams from a range of sports. The scholar will also benefit from regular one-on-one mentoring sessions with John Eales.
The goal of the scholarship is to prepare the individual for life beyond rugby with an internationally recognised degree in the discipline of the student’s choice, which is enhanced by the global networks, industry connections, and work experience opportunities for which Bond University is renowned. The successful awardee will commence study at Bond University in the following year, January semester, and spend their rugby season with the Bond University Rugby Club playing in the highest competition in the state of Queensland throughout the duration of their degree.
Download a copy of the Sports Scholarships information flyer.
The John Eales Rugby Excellence Scholarship is awarded annually, with study at Bond University to commence in the following year, January semester.
- Australian student eligible to represent Australian Rugby.
- Meet the Academic requirements for selected program.
- Experience playing rugby at a high level.
- Strong leadership skills and community involvement.
- 100% tuition scholarship for any single diploma program, single undergraduate degree, single postgraduate degree (excluding the Bond Medical Program).
- A $10,000 bursary will be awarded as a cash payment and made directly to the scholar’s Bond student account. $10,000 cash bursary per year of study for a maximum of 2 years (or pro-rated for part-time students to a maximum of $20,000).
- The cash bursary may be used as the student wishes, however, it is recommended that it is spent on accommodation, food, sporting equipment, participation in sporting events and training, student activity fees and textbooks. The bursary does not guarantee to cover all living expenses that the student will incur during their time at Bond University.
Please note: Applications for this scholarship for 2019 entry are now closed.
Students must complete and submit their scholarship application prior to the application closing date. No late scholarship applications will be considered. If you are applying for more then one scholarship with different application closing dates, it is important to submit your scholarship application form by the earliest scholarship closing date.
Scholarship applicants will be required to submit the following documents as part of their scholarship application:
- A detailed sporting resume, summary of achievements, and at least two relevant references from individuals who can support sporting achievements; and,
- A personal statement outlining why you have applied for the scholarship and what makes you a good candidate for this scholarship.
Download our scholarship application and FAQ's help sheet.
- The scholar is required to play rugby union exclusively with the Bond University Rugby Club, except if selected in a State or National representative team.
- The scholar is required to represent Bond at the Australian University Games if applicable, attend Bond University’s annual Blues Awards, and Bond Rugby season events.
- The scholar is required to update the University with their sporting achievements and allow Bond University to promote these achievements.
- The scholar must apply to become a member of Bond’s Elite Sports Program (BESP) and meet with the BESP Manager during each semester of study.