Take your sport management career to the next level
With a Master of Sport Management from Bond, not only do you have the opportunity to graduate with real-world experience, you'll also step into the next phase of your career by graduating sooner. Complete Bond’s Master of Sport Management in just one year and four months and take your academic knowledge and your love of sport to the next level.
The Bond Master of Sport Management focuses in managing high-performance sport, business strategy, strategic sports marketing, event and facilities management, finance, law, governance and organisation leadership. You’ll receive input and have the opportunity to work with leading industry practitioners and professional sport organisations as you prepare for a range of senior leadership and management roles.
As part of the Master of Sport Management, you may take the Business Internship elective*. This industry experience subject is for academic credit and involves students gaining on-the-job practical experience within a sport-based organisation relevant to their studies. You will be responsible for working through tasks and projects, and expected to engage in problem-solving and professional development techniques relevant to the sport organisation with which you are working. This enables you to apply the knowledge and skills learnt during your program of study to real-world situations.
Campus and Bond University experience
For the past 15 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, The Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
Bond Business School brings industry into the classroom, providing a personalised educational experience, combining studies with a transformative life experience. As a Bond student you will have access to an array of networking opportunities including the Bond Business Leaders Forum and Business Links which are a series of presentations from high profile Australian and International business leaders, providing invaluable development and networking opportunities for business professionals, the local community and beyond.
Gain real-world experience during your degree
Looking for something a little different as well? Why not consider the combined degree option of Master of Sport Management / Master of Project Management, which allows you to explore your love of sport and your passion for project management, planning and implementation.
Take your degree for a test drive
Try further study on for size at a Postgraduate Test Drive. Meet with a personal Regional Manager on campus or virtually to learn more about studying at Bond, and to explore how a postgraduate degree can support your professional goals. This curated experience considers your unique circumstances, giving you an unmatched opportunity to have all of your questions about postgraduate study answered.
What our students say
- Have access to elite athletes and sporting teams through Bond’s membership with the Australian Sport Commission’s Elite Athlete Friendly University Agreement
- Prepare yourself for a range of leadership and management roles in sport
- Gain industry experience while you study
- Learn in small class sizes of no more than 20-30 students, delivering more interaction, more support and more opportunities
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours available within Asia, South-East Asia and Silicon Valley
- Access to an array of state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer
- Bond is dedicated to supporting elite athletes in the balanced pursuit of their academic and sporting goals by introducing more flexible academic regulations and requirements for elite student athletes.
About the program
The Master of Sport Management explores the professional challenges and opportunities for managers in the international sports industry. This program is designed to enhance the career opportunities of established professionals, as well as assist individuals aspiring to forge a career in this unique sector. It explores the many aspects of sport management from a grassroots level through to elite professional sports organisations and events. Show more
The Master of Sport Management explores the professional challenges and opportunities for managers in the international sports industry. This program is designed to enhance the career opportunities of established professionals, as well as assist individuals aspiring to forge a career in this unique sector. It explores the many aspects of sport management from a grassroots level through to elite professional sports organisations and events. You will focus on managing high-performance sport, business strategies, event management, finance, law, governance and organisational leadership. The program will give you access to leading experts in sport, law, business and public relations who possess a wealth of industry experience and knowledge. The program places a strong emphasis on practical experience through internships and work-integrated learning. Show less
|Duration||4 semesters (1 year 4 months)|
|Starting semesters||January 2023, January 2024, May 2023, May 2024, September 2022, September 2023, September 2024|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Business and Commerce, Sport|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Master of Sport Management program comprises 12 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (10)
- BUSN71-700 Business Internship
- FINC71-101 Fundamentals of Finance
- HRTM71-209 Event Management
- LAWS77-521 Global Sports Law and Governance
- MGMT71-104 Managing People
- MKTG71-600 Marketing Fundamentals
- SPMT71-124 International Sport Business
- SPMT71-125 Managing High Performance Sport
- STAT71-102 Analysis and Application
- Students can choose 20 Credit Points of General Elective Subjects (20cp).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires the Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee divided by the number of standard full-time semesters required to complete the program. Fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester.
Semester program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $15,790* per semester average
- Students commencing study in 2023: $16,198* per semester average
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $63,160
- Students commencing study in 2023: $64,790
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than most other universities.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Academic entry requirements
Successful completion of a Bachelor degree in a discipline related to the diverse areas of sport management including management, business, marketing, finance, accounting, law, public relations, exercise and sports science.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
The Bond University Master of Sport Management program is designed to prepare you for a range of leadership and management roles in sport specific disciplines.
Upon completion of the program, you will be well-positioned to seek employment in a range of settings in the multi-faceted sport industry at local, national and international levels.
You may find employment opportunities in the government, community, private and not-for-profit sectors including:
- professional sport teams, leagues and affiliated organisations
- community service organisations
- government sport, tourism and recreation services
- local, state and national sport governing bodies
- major event corporations
- sport venue management
- high performance sport development and player management
- sport advertising, media relations, sponsorship and marketing
- sport apparel and merchandising companies
- logistics, compliance and financial operations
Our graduates have established careers in a range of settings within the multi-faceted sport industry both nationally and internationally.
Looking for something a little different as well? Why not consider the combined degree option of Master of Sport Management / Master of Project Management, which allows you to explore your love of sport and your passion for project management, planning and implementation. This option is particularly appropriate for those interested in the events sector. Further study might qualify for Higher Degree Research in the form of our Master of Philosophy (Sport Management), or the Doctor of Philosophy (Sport Management).
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia that are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
As a graduate of Bond’s Master of Sport Management, you will have a competitive edge in your career. Employer satisfaction with graduates from Bond University has been rated highest in Australia for two years in a row, according to the 2019 Employer Satisfaction Survey published by the Department of Education and Training.
As part of the Master of Sport Management, you may take the Sport Management Professional Preparation elective*. This industry experience subject is for academic credit and involves students gaining on-the-job practical experience within a sport-based organisation relevant to their studies. You will be responsible for working through tasks and projects, and expected to engage in problem-solving and professional techniques relevant to the sport organisation with which you are working. This enables you to apply the knowledge and skills you have learnt during the advanced subjects in sports management to real-world situations.
Bond University enjoys affiliations with numerous local, national and international sport organisations which grant access to real life opportunities including internships, work experience and research. Many practitioners from national and state sport governing bodies and sport organisations across professional, semi-professional and amateur levels of sport are involved in the delivery of classroom based material and workshops, as well as program governance through the engagement of the External Industry Program Advisory Committee.
Find out about the Industry Advisory Board.
Bond University Sport Management students have conducted their industry experience with a varied range of sport organisations. Bond continues to expand its network of relationships in this sphere. Below are some of the sport organisations with which Bond has relationships:
- Australian Olympic Committee
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Australian Football League
- Australian Rugby Union
- Australian Sports Commission
- Australian University Games
- Baseball Queensland
- Events Management Queensland
- Gold Coast City Council
- Netball Queensland
- Queensland Academy of Sport
- Skate Australia
- World Rugby
- World Surf League
Throughout the program, you will be encouraged to further your career pathways by undertaking extra-curricular voluntary work in the sport sector in order to develop your practical skills and build industry networks.
* Student must maintain a Grade Point Average of at least 2.5.
Bond University is a member of the Australian Sport Commission’s Elite Athlete Friendly University Agreement (EAFUA). Through this agreement, Bond is dedicated to supporting elite athletes in the balanced pursuit of their academic and sporting goals by introducing more flexible academic regulations and requirements for elite student athletes.