Take your passion for sport management to the next level
No matter where you are in the world, a love of sport is an international language. People from all over the world will gather together to unite in the passion and excitement of a sporting match. The Master of Sport Management allows you to take your academic knowledge and love of sport to the next level. In just one year and four months, you will graduate with real world experiences in globally recognised sporting industries, with a focus on communication and trends in business today as well as a strategic edge in sport marketing and management.
Empowerment through sport management
Looking for something a little different as well? Why not consider the combined degree option of Master of Sport Management / Master of Project Management, which allows you to explore your love of sport and your passion for project management, planning and implementation.
What our alumni say
- Finish your degree sooner - We run three full semesters a year with intakes in January, May and September. Studying full time, you can complete a 12-subject Master’s in 16 months or, with Business School approval, just 12 months.
- Opportunity to work with numerous international sport organisations which grant access to real life opportunities including internships, work experience and research
- Prepares graduates for a range of leadership and management roles in sport
About the program
|Duration||4 semesters (1 year 4 months)|
|Starting semesters||January 2021, January 2022, May 2020, May 2021, May 2022, September 2020, September 2021, September 2022|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Business and Commerce, Sport|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Bond University Master of Sport Management program is designed to prepare you for a range of leadership and management roles in sport specific disciplines.
Upon completion of the program, you will be well-positioned to seek employment in a range of settings in the multi-faceted sport industry at local, national and international levels.
You may find employment in the government, community, private and not-for-profit sectors including:
- professional sport teams, leagues and affiliated organisations
- community service organisations
- government sport and recreation services
- local, state and national sport governing bodies
- major event corporations
- sport venue management
- high performance sport development and player management
- sport advertising, media relations, sponsorship and marketing
- apparel and merchandising companies
- logistics, compliance and financial operations
The Master of Sport Management program comprises 12 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (11)
- FINC71-600 Managerial Finance
- HRTM71-209 Event Management
- LAWS77-521 Global Sports Law and Governance
- MGMT71-104 Managing People
- MKTG71-312 Internet and Social Media Marketing
- MKTG71-600 Marketing Fundamentals
- SPMT71-119 Sport Management Professional Preparation
- SPMT71-124 International Sport Business
- SPMT71-125 Managing High Performance Sport
- STAT71-102 Analysis and Application
- Students may choose one (1) general elective subject.
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
- Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experience or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a GPA credit average and requires approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on an average per semester cost, fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester:
- 2020 fees: $16,080 per semester (based on 3 subjects per semester)
- 2021 fees: $16,920 per semester (based on 3 subjects per semester)
Price may vary depending on elective discipline choice.
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than if you went to another university.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
Academic entry requirements
Successful completion of a Bachelor degree in a discipline related to the diverse areas of sport management including management, business, marketing, finance, accounting, law, public relations, exercise and sports science.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
As part of the Master of Sport Management, you may take the Sport Management Professional Preparation elective*. This industry experience subject is for academic credit and involves students gaining on-the-job practical experience within a sport-based organisation relevant to their studies. You will be responsible for working through tasks and projects, and expected to engage in problem-solving and professional techniques relevant to the sport organisation with which you are working. This enables you to apply the knowledge and skills you have learnt during the advanced subjects in sports management to real-world situations.
Bond University enjoys affiliations with numerous local, national and international sport organisations which grant access to real life opportunities including internships, work experience and research. Many practitioners from national and state sport governing bodies and sport organisations across professional, semi-professional and amateur levels of sport are involved in the delivery of classroom based material and workshops, as well as program governance through the engagement of the External Industry Program Advisory Committee.
Find out about the Industry Advisory Board.
Bond University Sport Management students have conducted their industry experience with a varied range of sport organisations. Bond continues to expand its network of relationships in this sphere. Below are some of the sport organisations with which Bond has relationships:
- Australian Olympic Committee
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Australian Football League
- Australian Rugby Union
- Australian Sports Commission
- Australian University Games
- Baseball Queensland
- Events Management Queensland
- Gold Coast City Council
- Netball Queensland
- Queensland Academy of Sport
- Skate Australia
- World Rugby
- World Surf League
Throughout the program, you will be encouraged to further your career pathways by undertaking extra-curricular voluntary work in the sport sector in order to develop your practical skills and build industry networks.
* Student must maintain a Grade Point Average of at least 2.5.
Bond University is a member of the Australian Sport Commission’s Elite Athlete Friendly University Agreement (EAFUA). Through this agreement, Bond is dedicated to supporting elite athletes in the balanced pursuit of their academic and sporting goals by introducing more flexible academic regulations and requirements for elite student athletes.