Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance to assist international students meet the costs of medical, hospital and emergency ambulance care that they may need while in Australia. OSHC will also pay limited benefits for pharmaceuticals services.
OSHC is compulsory for all Australian student visa holders. Students from Sweden, Norway, and Belgium may be covered under a reciprocal health care agreement in Australia.
All international students must maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of their student visa for themselves and any family members covered under a student visa dependent visa, such as spouses and dependent children under 18 years old. The OSHC must be continuous (i.e. the cover must not have any gaps). OSHC cannot be used to cover your father, mother, or a sibling.
Bond University's preferred OSHC provider is Bupa, a leading global health and care company operating in more than 190 countries. In Australia, Bupa is one of the two largest private health insurers.
Benefits of Bupa
- Access to Student Hub, an informative site with lots of useful tips and information, including:
- Assistance and support with understanding the Australian healthcare system
- Understanding your OSHC in more detail with Advantage OSHC. (this premium product offers extra layers of benefits and is only available when you pay through Bond University)
- Access to Bupa-friendly doctor (Direct Billing Doctor) to help reduce or eliminate any payment you would make on the day of your appointment
- Order your Bupa membership card
- Health and Wellness tips
- Extensive public and private hospital network in Australia.
- No waiting periods for psychiatric (normally 2 months) and gynaecological services (normally 12 months) when you pay through Bond University. Not applicable for pre-existing conditions.
- Out-patient pharmaceutical benefits.
- Medical repatriation benefit to country of origin for a terminal or life threatening illness.
- Access to more than 100 Bupa stores Australia-wide.
- Access to special health and wellbeing events for international students.
- 24-hour student advice line (1300 884 235) in 180 languages. You can speak confidentially about a range of issues such as medical and accident assistance, home and property assistance, general tax and legal enquiries, personal safety, drug or alcohol issues and trauma counselling.
- A wide range of rewards and discounts are available through the Bupa Plus program, saving you money on everything from movie tickets and gym memberships to vitamins and sunglasses.