COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.

Student visa regulations

The following is a summary of the regulations regarding your Student Visa. You must understand and comply with these regulations, as Bond University is legally obliged to report any Student Visa breach to the Department of Home Affairs within 14 days of the breach and your Student Visa may be cancelled.

As your education provider, we maintain all information regarding contact information (s21 ESOS Act, 2000) academic records and enrolment status (ESOS 2001, regulation 4.01). It is your responsibility to ensure any information held by Bond University is up-to-date and that you comply with all relevant regulations. Failure to comply with any of the following could result in your visa being cancelled.

You are required to provide Bond University with your Australian residential/contact address within 7 days of arriving in Australia, and any address changes you may have while residing in Australia. This CANNOT be a post office box; it must be a physical residential address.

How to ensure compliance: Use eStudent to update your current Australian address in the 'contact' address section within 7 days of any changes.

In order for you to complete your program within the duration specified on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) you must be enrolled in a full time study load each semester.

Please note: Awarding of credit may result in your CoE duration being reduced by one or more semesters.

Undergraduate programs

As an undergraduate student, you must be enrolled in 40 credit points (4 subjects) per semester. The only exception being in the event of special circumstances, and you have specified approval from your Faculty in conjunction with the Student Business Centre.

Master's programs

Master’s degree programs require a study load of either 30 or 40 credit points (3 to 4 subjects) per semester, as specified by your degree. For example – the Juris Doctor program requires a study load of 40 credit points per semester. The only exception being in the event of special circumstances, and you have specified approval from your Faculty in conjunction with the Student Business Centre.

Postgraduate Diplomas, Graduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas

A full-time study load for students enrolled in the above programs is 40 credit points (4 subjects) per semester. The only exception being in the event of special circumstances, and you have specified approval from your Faculty in conjunction with the Student Business Centre.

How to ensure compliance: maintain a full-time enrolment in all semesters. If you have concerns about subject availability, or believe you may have compelling or compassionate circumstances, please contact the International Support Team in the Student Business Centre on [email protected].

Each semester, Bond University Academic Performance regulations require you to meet academic progression regulations outlined in Part 2 – Academic Regulations of the University Handbook.

How to ensure compliance: An Enrolment Advisor can assist you in planning your academic program, and if you are ‘At Risk’ of being excluded, you are likely to be eligible for a specified university intervention.

Interventions are designed to assist you in getting back on track academically and may include a number of measures, such as a reduction in your study load.

It is your responsibility to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your Student Visa. The International Support Team can assist you in renewing your health cover with the University's preferred provider.

Please Note: All Student Visa applicants for all student visa subclasses must provide evidence to Department of Home Affairs of OSHC for the entire estimated duration of their visa.

For all OSHC enquiries, please contact the International Support Team in the Student Business Centre on [email protected]

You can apply to defer or take a Leave of Absence from your studies for up to three semesters (subject to university approval). To apply, you must complete the relevant LOA form and submit it to the Student Business Centre.


You must have Department of Home Affairs defined Compelling or Compassionate Circumstances to be approved for deferral of studies. Your reasons for deferral MUST be supported by original documentation. If appropriate documentation is not supplied, your deferral application will not be approved.

Where approved, you may return offshore for your deferral period or (in very limited circumstances) you may be eligible to remain in Australia during a deferral period – e.g. major medical conditions supported by original documentation.

If approved, the Student Business Centre will withdraw you from studies and advise Department of Home Affairs of your deferral period. Department of Home Affairs may still contact you regarding the circumstances of your deferral. 

Leave of absence

In other circumstances, you can apply to take a Leave of Absence (LOA). A Leave of Absence may not require original documentation. However, on approval you will be withdrawn from studies and no longer meeting the 8202 of your student visa.

This means you are required to leave Australia during this period of non-enrolment to maintain compliance with your student visa conditions.

The Department of Home Affairs will monitor your exit and entry to Australia to ensure student visa compliance. The Student Business Centre will advise the Department of Home Affairs of non-enrolment study period.

During periods of LOA, it is most likely that the Department of Home Affairs will not cancel your student visa. However, Department of Home Affairs holds discretionary powers allowing it to cancel your student visa during any period of LOA. Therefore, you will need to check the validity of your visa for travel.

Your LOA period means it is likely you will have to apply for a further visa either prior to returning to study or in the future to allow you to complete studies.

You can check the validity of your student visa for travel via the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service.

Prior to returning to study, you should re-enrol and apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). You can re-enrol via eStudent. To apply for your new CoE, contact the International team within the Student Business Centre.

How to ensure compliance:

  • Discuss your impending Deferral/LOA with an Enrolment Advisor.
  • Complete and lodge the Deferral/LOA form with any original supporting documentation at the Student Business Centre.
  • Leave Australia (as required for periods of non-enrolment).
  • Check your visa validity for travel via VEVO before returning to study.
  • Enrol and apply for a CoE for your return to study.

Please note: All withdrawals are subject to normal university withdrawal timelines and penalties.

You are entitled to work a MAXIMUM of 40 hours per fortnight whilst on a Student Visa. During official semester break, you have unlimited work hours.

You cannot start paid work until you have started your program in Australia.

No work limits apply if you are studying a Masters by research or Doctorate program in Australia.

Part-time employment can be difficult to find and will not give you enough funds to cover either living expenses or tuition fees.

People working in Australia, including both sponsored and non-sponsored visa holders, have rights and protections at work. These cannot be taken away by contracts or agreements.

Pay rates and workplace conditions are set by Australian law. Please see Workplace rights – for all visa holders working in Australia for Immigration information on workplace rights.    

The Fair Work Ombudsman can give you further information and advice about your workplace rights and obligations, and has workplace information translated into different languages.

Your rights and protections include workplace health and safety matters.

The International Support Team  can assist you with information about  your student visa conditions with regard to work while studying at Bond University. 

The Career Development Centre  can help you prepare for a challenging career.

You must obtain a Tax File Number to work in Australia. This is available from the Australian Tax Office.

It is a requirement that International Students complete their studies within the time specified on their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If you have not been able to complete your degree within the timeframe allowed on your current Student Visa, you will need to apply for a new Student Visa.

Information on how to apply for a further student visa is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Bond University will supply you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and assist in organising your OSHC that you will need for your subsequent Visa application.

To obtain a new CoE, please email the International Support Team in the Student Business Centre on [email protected]. When requesting a COE, please also advise if you would like Bond to arrange your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Your request for a CoE will be assessed against your enrolment history and visa compliance. When approved, the new CoE will be emailed to your Bond University student email account.

Your student visa is valid only while you are studying in Australia. As a graduating student, you will no longer be enrolled and depending on your intentions to stay or leave Australia, you may need to seek advice from Department of Home Affairs on your required departure date or further visa application timeframe.

ESOS framework and Overseas Ombudsman

The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, or ESOS Act, establishes legislative requirements and standards for the quality assurance of education and training institutions offering courses to international students who are in Australia on a student visa. ESOS also provides tuition fee protection for international students.

The ESOS framework is designed to protect the interests of International Students by outlining standards, roles and responsibilities for education institutions which teach International Students, along with providing tuition and financial assurance for students. Bond University adheres to the principles and guidelines of the ESOS Framework.

The Overseas Students Ombudsman investigates complaints student visa holders have with private schools, colleges and universities (education providers) in Australia.

The Ombudsman Act 1976 was amended in 2011 to give the role of Overseas Students Ombudsman to the Commonwealth Ombudsman. The function commenced on 9 April 2011.

The Ombudsman:

  • provides a free service
  • is independent and impartial, and does not represent either overseas students or private education providers
  • can make recommendations arising out of investigations

If you have completed Bond University's internal complaints and appeals process and you are not satisfied with a decision or action taken by Bond University, you can access the Overseas Students Ombudsman.