|Faculty:||Faculty of Law|
Equity is a compulsory subject in the Bachelor of Laws program offered by the Faculty of Law. The subject builds on concepts encountered in other private law subjects to explore the principles of equity and the law of trusts. It considers the origins and history of the equitable jurisdiction; the relationship between equity and common law; and essential concepts and doctrines of equity, including fiduciary duties and equitable remedies. The subject also provides an introduction to the law of trusts, focusing on types of trusts, their creation, and the rights and obligations that follow from trusteeship. Emphasis is placed on the development of legal research and reasoning.
- Demonstrate understanding of the following legal topics: • the relationship between equity and the common law; • the law of fiduciary relationships; • the foundations of the law of trusts, including their creation, the various types of trusts, and the rights and obligations that are created by trusts; and • legal principles relevant to some equitable remedies.
- Demonstrate competency in exercising the following skill at an intermediate level, with creativity, initiative and judgment: • legal research and reasoning.
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, including a commitment to: • learning and working independently and reflectively; • behaving ethically and responsibly; and • managing time effectively and meeting deadlines.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Must be admitted into a Bachelor Law degree OR Bachelor of Laws combined degree OR be an approved Law Study Abroad OR Law Exchange student.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
- May 2023 [Standard - Standard [May 2023]]
- January 2023 [Standard - Standard [January 2023]]
- September 2022 [Standard - Standard [September 2022]]
- May 2022 [Standard - Standard [May 2022]]
- January 2022 [Standard - Standard [January 2022]]
- September 2021 [Standard - Standard [September 2021]]
- May 2021 [Standard - Standard [May 2021]]
- January 2021 [Standard - Standard [January 2021]]
- September 2020 [Standard - Standard [September 2020]]
- May 2020 [Standard - Standard [May 2020]]
- January 2020 [Standard - Standard [January 2020]]
- September 2019 [Standard - Standard [September 2019]]
- May 2019 [Standard - Standard [May 2019]]
- January 2019 [Standard - Standard [January 2019]]
- September 2018 [Standard - Standard [September 2018]]
- May 2018 [Standard - Standard [May 2018]]
- January 2018 [Standard - Standard [January 2018]]
- September 2017 [Standard - Standard [September 2017]]
- May 2017 [Standard - Standard [May 2017]]
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 19/03/2023 Semester start: 15/05/2023 Subject start: 15/05/2023 Cancellation 1: 29/05/2023 Cancellation 2: 05/06/2023 Last enrolment: 28/05/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 10/06/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 01/07/2023 Teaching census: 09/06/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|
|Withdraw - Financial:||10/06/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||01/07/2023|