|Faculty:||Faculty of Law|
Tort Law is a compulsory subject in the Bachelor of Laws program offered by the Faculty of Law. The subject focuses on the elements of liability in the tort of negligence, including duty of care, breach of duty, damages, and defences to liability. Attention is also paid to the general issue of the balance of risk and benefit in establishing liability and to particular problems associated with establishing a duty of care in negligence. Emphasis is placed on the development of legal research and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of the following legal topics: the fundamental elements of the tort of negligence; the assessment of tort damages; and the role of negligence within the system of accident compensation as a whole.
- Demonstrate competency in exercising the following skill at an intermediate level, with creativity, initiative and judgment: legal research and reasoning.
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, including a commitment to: learning and working independently and reflectively; behaving ethically and responsibly; and managing time effectively and meeting deadlines.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Students must be admitted into an approved Bachelor Law degree OR Bachelor of Laws combined degree OR be an approved Law Study Abroad OR Law Exchange student.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
- May 2023 [Standard - Tort Law]
- January 2023 [Standard - Tort Law]
- September 2022 [Standard - Tort Law]
- May 2022 [Standard - Tort Law]
- January 2022 [Standard - Tort Law]
- September 2021 [Standard - Tort Law]
- May 2021 [Standard - Tort Law]
- January 2021 [Standard - Tort Law]
- September 2020 [Standard - Tort Law]
- May 2020 [Standard - Tort Law]
- January 2020 [Standard - Tort Law]
- September 2019 [Standard - Tort Law]
- May 2019 [Standard - Tort Law]
- January 2019 [Standard - Tort Law]
- September 2018 [Standard - Tort Law]
- May 2018 [Standard - Tort Law]
- January 2018 [Standard - Tort Law]
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 19/03/2023 Semester start: 15/05/2023 Subject start: 15/05/2023 Cancellation 1: 29/05/2023 Cancellation 2: 05/06/2023 Last enrolment: 28/05/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 10/06/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 01/07/2023 Teaching census: 09/06/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|
|Withdraw - Financial:||10/06/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||01/07/2023|