COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.

Before you apply for the Bond International Exchange program

Going on exchange is an amazing experience that will change your world view, but it does take some work and research in order to get there. Following steps 1 to 4 below will help you prepare for Exchange, even if you are in your first semester or are yet to start at Bond.

All international travel for study has been suspended.

Due to COVID-19, the Australian government has implemented a world-wide travel ban (visit for updates). Bond's travel insurance provider considers COVID-19 a "forseen circumstance" as of 2 March 2020 for any new paid travel arrangements made after this date. This means that there is no insurance cover for trip cancellations or changes due to COVID-19, and no medical or related cover for travellers who contract the virus.

Can I study abroad in 2021-2022?
The Exchange Office is accepting applications for 222 and 223 semester within the normal application periods, and we welcome you to explore the opportunities to study overseas in 2022 and beyond. Because preparations for the Exchange program commence two semesters in advance, we will support you through the application and planning stages to ensure you can keep your options open. However, no flights or other travel bookings should be made at this time. We will continue monitoring the situation with student safety and well-being our highest priority. 

Students enrolled in undergraduate and postgraduate programs at Bond have the opportunity to diversify their academic and cultural experience by participating in an exchange program.

Eligibility requirements

  • Applicants must be officially enrolled in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate degree program at Bond (find a link to restricted programs below).
  • Applicants must have three or four electives and/or optional subjects available in their program to take on Exchange (see 'Step 2. Know your study plan' below for advice on determining if you have room in your degree for an Exchange semester).
  • Undergraduate students must have successfully completed at least one semester at Bond before applying. Postgraduate students in accelerated programs may apply from their first semester.
  • Applicants must have achieved a Cumulative Percentage Average (CPA) of at least 65%*. Students are expected to maintain this average until they depart.
  • All students must have completed at least two semesters of study before departure.
  • Students are required to maintain full time enrolment at Bond and at the host institution while on Exchange.

* Students applying to study at a Law partner must have achieved a minimum CPA of at least 70% overall for Law subjects. Student applying to study at the Ivey Business School must have achieved an overall CPA of 70%.

Students on Bond Scholarships

Students on a Bond scholarship must maintain full time enrolment (40 credit points) for the duration of their exchange program. Students seeking to enrol in 30 credit points, must be approved by the Student Business Centre prior to departure. Please refer to the Student Handbook, "Division 10 - Scholarships".

International Students

International students planning to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) at the completion of their Bond degree, should check the visa eligibility requirements before applying for Exchange. International students may not be considered for exchange programs in their country of residence.

Exchange restrictions

Some degree programs are too structured and/or have industry accreditation requirements that prevent students from undertaking an Exchange semester. Please find a list of restricted programs and other advice for each Faculty here:

Click to download: Study plan template and guide.

Most students will need to deviate from the recommended sequence of study in order to fit an exchange semester into their degree program, so it is important to map out an alternative study plan to ensure you can stay on track for graduation.

Preparing your study plan

Use the above template to list all your remaining subjects and determine which subjects you have available to take on Exchange.

We recommend saving any electives for Exchange to give you flexibility when enrolling at the host university. Because your Core, Foundation and Major subjects can be hard to match, and subject availability at the host university is not guaranteed.

Find the program structure and sequence for each Faculty here: FSD, HSM, BBS, Law

The study plan template is a Word document so you may easily fill it in using a computer, and then email it to [email protected] to be checked and approved. Please allow 1-2 weeks for a response.

You will need to submit a copy of your approved study plan with your application for Exchange. Failure to do so will result in your exchange application being denied.

What are elective subjects?

General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any faculty provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.

Faculty elective – A subject that can only be chosen from your faculty.  i.e. Bachelor of Laws students can only choose faculty electives from subjects that are within the Faculty of Law.

What if my degree has limited or no elective subjects?

An Exchange semester might not be possible for students with little or no electives in their program because flexibility with enrolment is essential. Where there are not enough elective subjects remaining, students may also use Major Option subjects, which do not require a direct match.

To get approval from your Faculty to take a required subject (e.g. Core or Foundation subject) on exchange, you will need to find a corresponding subject at the host university that is at least 80% equivalent. You can check this by looking at the outline of the host university subject and comparing it to the Bond outline. Your faculty will make the final assessment.

Exchange-related enrolment advice and restrictions are available for each Faculty here: BBS, FSD, HSM, LAW.

When is the best time to go on exchange?

Students can go on exchange from their fourth semester, with the exception of postgraduate students in an accelerated degree, who may go on exchange from their third semester. Students may go on exchange in their final semester, however, this could delay graduation. Please note: Applications for exchange must be submitted two semesters in advance.

The Bond September semester lines up well with the "Fall semester" at most of our partner universities, whereas partners offering a "Spring semester" from January-April are more limited. A full-time semester during the Bond May semester is uncommon (most universities are on summer holidays), and so students are limited to the following options for May:

  • Aichi Gakuin University, Japan (Japanese Language studies, limited subjects in English)
  • Freie University, Germany (Law subjects in English)
  • Goethe University, Germany (range of subjects in English)
  • Hosei University, Japan (a wide range of subjects are taught in English)
  • Mahidol University International College, Thailand (all subjects are taught in English. Law is not available)
  • Stockholm University, Sweden (Law & Law/Business subjects in English)

Information sessions

Students are encouraged to join an Outbound Exchange Information Session, where we will discuss the exchange program in detail and talk you through the application process. When possible, Faculty representatives and past exchange students will attend to share their advice and answer questions.

Find the dates and times for the next information sessions here.

Personal consultation

Still have questions? You are welcome to schedule a MS Teams consult with the Exchange Office. Book a time to chat here!

With 80+ institutions to choose from, it is important to do your research to find a university that is the best fit for your degree and your exchange aspirations.

Look at our list of Participating institutions

  • You will find links to host university academic calendars, course catalogues and Fact Sheets.
  • Be sure to check the agreement type (University wide, UG/PG, Law only, etc), semester dates and subjects available. Always refer to the host university Fact Sheet for lots of helpful information.
  • If the overseas semester dates do not align with Bond’s, you may need to apply for a Leave of Absence (which would postpone your expected graduation date) or defer your exams.
  • Most students will participate in an exchange in the January or September semesters because university partners that offer a May semester are limited.

Search the course catalogue of the host university

  • You will need to identify at least 8-10 subjects that you could take (at least twice the number of subjects to make up a full-time study load)
  • Look for detailed subject outlines. If not available, email the Exchange Office at [email protected] to help you source them from the institution.
  • Make sure the subjects you select are:
    • Not restricted for Exchange students and that you meet any pre-requisite requirements
    • Available in the semester you will be overseas
    • In English, or in a language in which you have suitable proficiency

Consider your budget and look at our Exchange financial information and funding

  • All students are eligible for the Bond Exchange Grant
  • Government funding varies year to year and is limited


Reach out to other Bondies who are overseas or who have been on Exchange via the Bondies Abroad & Exchange Alumni Facebook Group

Visa requirements

Research the visa requirements for the host country on their Australian consulate/embassy website. Foreign embassies and consulates in Australia.

Student testimonials

Read what past exchange students have to say about the exchange program and their host university via the Exchange blog.