Skip to main content
Start of main content.

Changing programs, withdrawing or taking a break

Students can change their program if they meet the entry requirements for another program they wish to enrol in. They can also apply to withdraw from their program if they wish to discontinue their studies, or apply for a Leave of Absence if they want to take a break. Read on for information about each of these enrolment changes.

If you need help with your enrolment, you can get in touch with Student Assist. 

Contact Student Assist

Changing your program

You should apply as early as possible when you decide you wish to change your program. Changing programs may alter your tuition fees.

Australian and New Zealand students

International students

If you are an international student and want to change your program, you must complete a full application for the new program.

Withdrawing from your program

If you wish to discontinue your studies completely you must apply to withdraw. If you wish to return at a later date then you may apply for a leave of absence for up to three semesters. The permitted duration of the leave could depend on your program. As this process requires the withdrawal of subjects, you may incur a penalty depending when you withdraw and your circumstances.

To withdraw from study you must complete a Withdrawal from Program through eStudent.

Academic penalties

Financial penalties

Impact on student visas

Where a student visa holder's proposed new enrolment or withdrawal from a program is inconsistent with the National Code, a student visa holder may not receive approval to change their enrolment.

Leave of absence

Leave of Absence

There are times when continuing your studies is not possible due to competing priorities, unexpected circumstances or financial reasons. You may want to take a break for a semester/s with the intention of returning to the same program in the future.  In this case, you may be eligible to take a Leave of Absence (LOA) from your program.

Bond students can request a LOA from their program for up to three semesters (please refer to the Enrolment Policy).

Need help with enrolment?

Contact Student Assist