Dr James Smith
- Professor of Urban Development
- Construction Management & Quantity Surveying
- Faculty of Society & Design
Level 2, Building 3, Sustainable Development, Bond University
Dr Jim Smith brings a down to earth approach blended with practical experience and academic knowledge to his role as Professor of Urban Development. He has worked extensively in private practice and local government in the UK and Australia.
His academic career encompasses teaching positions in Nottingham Trent University, the National University of Singapore and City University, Hong Kong, as well as the RMIT, the University of Melbourne and Deakin University in Australia.
Dr Smith has maintained close ties with industry as a specialist cost advisor in private practice and to state government departments.
He is also actively involved in research with a particular focus on the strategic client briefing stages of project development, as well as the cost management of construction, conservation and heritage projects. Jim has been involved in several successful external grants including two ARC projects (one Linkage and one Discovery) and is presently involved in two ARC Grants concerned with rework in construction (Discovery) and life cycle costs of infrastructure projects in collaboration with Curtin University.
Jim has published numerous refereed international journal papers and conference papers and has co-authored six books on construction cost planning and management.
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Associate Member of the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- Reviewer - Construction Management and Economics Journal, UK;Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management journal, UK; ASCE Journal of Architevtural En
- External Reviewer - The Hong Kong Research Grants Council
30 years of experience teaching in the UK, Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong at universities such as Nottingham Trent, RMIT, National University of Singapore, City University of Hong Kong, Deakin University and the University of Melbourne
- SSUD13-312 - Construction, Estimating and Cost Planning
- SSUD12-100 - Urban Development
- SSUD71-312 - Construction, Estimating and Cost Planning
- SSUD72-300 - Capstone Project
- SSUD99-500 - PhD Thesis - Sustainable Development
- SSUD71-315 - Sustainable Construction
- SSUD13-315 - Sustainable Construction
- SSUD71-120 - Urban Development
- SSUD71-600 - Special Topic in Property and Sustainable Development
- SSUD12-308 - Project Contract Administration
- SSUD71-308 - Project Contract Administration
- SSUD13-300 - Capstone Project
- Master of Urban Planning, University of Melbourne
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), London, United Kingdom