Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and support for the Bond community. Read more

Study in Australia

Bond University has a distinguished reputation as Australia’s first private, not-for-profit University, offering a personalised academic environment that enables graduates to exceed the outer limits of their potential.

Australia’s No. 1 university for student experience

In the 2021 Good Universities Guide, Bond University was awarded more 5-star ratings in the student experience category than any other university in Australia … for the fifteenth year in a row.

Teaching Quality

Learner Engagement

Learning Resources

Student Support

Skills Development

Overall Quality of Education

Student Retention

Student Teacher Ratio



The Good Universities Guide is a trusted independent consumer guide for students researching their undergraduate study options. It provides ratings, rankings, comment and information about all Australian higher education institutions.

The Bond difference

By undertaking three-semesters-per-year instead of the usual two, graduates of Bond accelerate their study and finish a six-semester bachelor's degree in two years or a master's degree in as little as one year.

Because Australia does not require any general education courses for bachelor's degrees, you start your major on day one. You therefore complete your degree in half the time as compared to your peers at American universities. You will be earning a graduate salary while your peers are only starting their junior year. Bond's three-semester-per-year timetable also allows students to complete their degrees faster than at other Australian universities.

Bond also offers professional master's programs which combine five months of practical industry placement enabling students to qualify for the two year Post Study Work Visa after graduation.

Students from the United States of America comprise an important part of the student community at Bond. As well as the students currently studying full degree programs, Bond University is a popular destination for hundreds of Study Abroad students every year, offering a unique opportunity to combine the highest possible quality education with an unforgettable travel experience that will shape the rest of your life.


Bond University location

Gold Coast, Australia

Australia is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. In our ultra-cosmopolitan coastal cities, you’ll enjoy a clean, safe environment where people go out of their way to extend a warm, friendly welcome.

Financing your studies

Citizens of United States of America can fund their Bond University degree in a variety of ways. Bond University makes it easy to study in Australia by offering international students part-fee scholarships and bursaries at both an undergraduate and postgraduate level.


Bond University participates in the William D Ford Direct Loan program, which offers Stafford and PLUS loans to U.S. Citizens. Students who are approved for loans have their tuition fee deposit reduced to $500 and once they pay this amount plus their Overseas Health Cover charge and Student Activities Membership (SAM) fee to accept their offer to study at Bond University, a Confirmation of Enrolment form (CoE) will be issued, allowing students to apply for their student visa.

Bond University’s 3-Year Cohort Default Rate for 2015 is zero.

The U.S. Department of Education has an online resource page that covers a range of topics of interest to U.S. students pursuing education abroad.

To be eligible to apply for financial aid at Bond University, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be enrolled at least half-time in an on campus full degree program (Bachelor, Master, MPhil or PhD).
  • Possess a high school diploma.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements (GPA of 2.1 on a 4 point scale).
  • Be a citizen, national permanent resident or eligible non-citizen of the United States.
  • Not be in default on a Stafford, PLUS, SLS or Consolidation Loan.
  • Not owe a refund on any Title IV funding – Title IV refunds may be required for funds you may have received during periods when you were ineligible to receive those funds.
  • Not have been convicted of any offence under state or federal law involving the sale or possession of a controlled substance.
  • Be in compliance with Selective Service registration requirements if you are male and between the ages of 18-25.
  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • For PLUS loans, you (Graduate or Professional students) or your parents (Undergraduate dependent students) must also pass a simple credit check.
  • Comply with requests for documentation if selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, as indicated on your Student Aid Report.
  • Submit all documentation required by Bond University to verify your eligibility and determine your financial need.

Please Note:

  • You cannot apply for financial aid for the Medical program.
  • You cannot be enrolled in any on line and/or distance education subjects or in any program which has online and/or distance education subjects or any Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma program.
  • You can only be enrolled cross institutionally with another “eligible partner” of the U.S. Department of Education
    • Cross institutional subject must be an on campus subject
  • You can participate in internships/externships provided those internships are subject to oversight by an accreditor or government entity (approval of the program by TEQSA is acceptable).
  • You cannot participate in exchange, internships/externships, or research or special studies if it requires you to be in the United States or its territories for the duration of your studies.
  • You can only undertake exchange, internships/externships, or research or special studies in another country overseas if the institution also participates in the U.S. Federal loans program.
  • For further information please email [email protected]

Your home university will normally agree to continue to certify your financial aid whilst you are studying at Bond University. However, you will need to direct your financial aid office to send a Consortium Agreement for Bond University to sign.

For more information contact your home school’s financial aid office or email [email protected] .

As a not-for-profit organisation, 100% of your Bond University tuition fees are re-invested in creating an elite five-star educational experience.

This is why we are able to provide world-class facilities, state-of-the-art learning resources and, most importantly, smaller classes that give you one-on-one access to Australia’s leading academics and corporate achievers.

When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s fast-tracked schedule means you’ll finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than your American peers. This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.

Cost of Attendance (All figures shown in Australian dollars only):

TuitionDependent on your program
of study. See fee schedule here.
Generally based upon 3 semesters of full-time study
Student Services and Amenities Fee$102Per semester
Books/Equipment$600Per semester
Relocation$3,000Average cost of a return flight to Australia plus relocation costs
Transport$1,251Per year (or $417 per semester)
Health InsuranceVariablePer year (based on BUPA OSHC policy)
Living expenses$6,763Per semester including rent, board (food) and utilities such as electricity, phone, internet
Loan fees1.062% (Stafford)
4.248% (PLUS)
Origination fees charged by U.S. Dept. of Education at time of disbursement
Computer (one-off)$1,400Average cost of a computer
Parking$0There is no charge for parking at Bond University

Costs unrelated to the completion of your course of study will not be included.

Bond University participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, which offers Stafford (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and PLUS loans to U.S. Citizens. Loans can only be used for bachelor's, master's and doctorate programs.

The maximum loan amount that you are eligible to borrow is determined by a process called Financial Needs Analysis (FNA). Firstly, your Cost of Attendance (COA) is determined based on the cost factors below. This is an estimate of your expected educational costs for the period in which you enrol (maximum period one year).

Your Estimated Financial Assistance (EFA), e.g. sponsorships or scholarships, is deducted from the COA to establish the amount that you can borrow.

In the case of dependent undergraduate students, the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), reported on the top right corner of your SAR, as well as your EFA, is deducted from your COA to determine your financial need and eligibility for a Subsidized loan.

These are the loans that are available:

Subsidized Stafford Loans are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. The federal government pays your interest while you are in school at least half-time, during the grace period and any periods of deferment. Although you are not required to make payments whilst you are studying, you will start repayment six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrolment.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available to all eligible students, regardless of income. Unlike the subsidized Stafford Loan, you are responsible for paying the interest. Interest accrues from the time of the first disbursement; however, you have the option of deferring your interest and principal payments until you enter the repayment period (at which point this interest is ‘capitalized’). Alternatively, you can opt to make a minimum repayment of $50 per month or the unpaid balance including interest, whichever is less. This will save you a lot of money in the long run. Parent PLUS

Parent PLUS Loans for Undergraduate Dependent Students are federally guaranteed loans that allow parents to borrow funds to pay for the educational expenses of their dependent student. The program requires the borrower to pass a simple credit check. Interest begins to accrue when funds are disbursed and repayment begins within 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed.

PLUS Loans for Graduate Students are federally guaranteed loans that allow graduates to borrow funds to pay for educational expenses on their own or with an eligible co-signer. The program requires the borrower to pass a simple credit check. Before applying for this loan the borrower must apply for, and the school must determine, their eligibility for the maximum annual Stafford loan amount.

Helping you choose

Stafford and PLUS loans are available for both undergraduate and graduate studies.
The main advantages of Stafford loans are that they have lower interest rates and better repayment terms. However, because there are annual loan limits (please see below), many students apply for both a Stafford and a PLUS loan in order to meet the costs of their education.

Year of studyAnnual subsidised loan limits Annual total combined loan limits (Sub & Unsub)Aggregate subsidised loan limitsAggregate combined loan limits (Sub & Unsub)
Undergraduate Dependent Students
1st year$3,500$5,500$23,000$31,000
2nd year$4,500$6,500$23,000$31,000
3rd year & above$5,500$7,500$23,000$31,000
Undergraduate Independent Students
1st year$3,500$9,500$23,000$57,000
2nd year$4,500$10,500$23,000$57,000
3rd year & above$5,500$12,500$23,000$57,000
Graduate & Professional Students
All years$0$20,500$65,500$138,500
Read more

Stafford loan

  1. Complete a free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must list Bond University as one of your preferred schools (School code: G30954). Processing of your application will take 1-4 weeks. Once processed you can print your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA website.
  2. Complete loan program Entrance Counselling
  3. Sign a Master Promissory Note
  4. Complete the US Federal Aid Loan Application Form

If you previously applied for federal student loans, you may qualify to use a Renewal FAFSA. Renewal FAFSAs are generally available on the FAFSA website between November and December each year. They have fewer questions to answer because you only need to update information that has changed since you last applied.
Applying for Federal student aid is FREE.

PLUS loan

Parents of dependent undergraduate students or graduate students themselves should go to Federal Student Aid and complete the following:

  1. Sign in using your FSA Student PIN
  2. Complete a Direct PLUS Loan Request (Application).
  3. Sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for the Direct PLUS Loan.

The PLUS Loan application requires the borrower to pass a simple credit check. The amount you will apply to borrow is the amount required for 3 semesters (12 months) at Bond. A renewal loan application will then be lodged for additional semesters.

For more information please email [email protected]

Private education loans are available from non-government lenders and approval is based on credit history. It is recommended that you apply with a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen.

U.S. students can use private education loans to borrow the difference between the maximum Cost of Attendance (COA) and any Federal (Direct) Loan.

Private education loans are also available to those students enrolled in the Medical program and all non-degree programs such as Certificate, Graduate and Postgraduate Diploma programs which are ineligible for Federal funding. They can also be used when a student is otherwise ineligible for Federal loans, e.g. when they are enrolled less than half-time or studying on exchange with an institution which is ineligible for Federal funding.

Presently Sallie Mae is the only lender offering private education loans to students studying outside of the U.S. and has now introduced a suite of loans created specifically for students pursuing graduate studies in business, medical and health professions. Visit Sallie Mae Student Loans for specific details about eligibility, how to apply, loan amounts and other terms and conditions.

Bond University strongly recommends that students first apply for Federal loans (where eligible) and then apply for additional funds through a private education loan if required. Federal loans are more favourable due to the generally lower interest rates and more flexible repayment options.

For further information please contact the Financial Aid Officer.

All students in receipt of Federal Student Aid must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as set down by the U.S. Department of Education.

Read Bond University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Eligibility for GI Bill® Educational benefits can be extended to veterans, members of the Selected Reserves or National Guard; and children or spouses of service-connected deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans. Each U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) education program has distinct eligibility requirements under specific chapters of Title 10 and 38, U.S. Code (USC). All students who feel they may be eligible for education benefits should submit an application. Even if a student appears to be ineligible, the DVA will review the application and officially grant or deny benefits. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site.

Approved study programs

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will pay an eligible student education benefits for pursuit of an approved program of education or training. An approved program is a course of study or a program of training which has been determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as meeting the legal requirements for payment of educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons. (38 CFR 21.7122(b))

The following are approved programs at Bond University:

If your proposed program of study does not appear in the list above, please contact the Financial Aid Officer to have your program added.

Students who wish to apply for veteran benefits can do so online through the website.

Benefit programs

Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

The Post - 9/11 GI Bill is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Receiving Benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.


You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty or were honourably:

  1. discharged from the active duty; or
  2. released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list; or
  3. released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve; or
  4. released from the active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.

You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.

For more information regarding the GI Bill, including rates of benefit, please visit U.S Department of Veterans Affairs - Education and Training.

Montgomery GI Bill - Chapter 30

Individuals who entered active duty after July 1984, and participated in the pay reduction program and served honorably for two years or more are eligible. Veterans or service persons cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

Veterans Administration Vocational Rehabilitation Program - Chapter 31

This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or greater. It provides a monthly stipend and also covers the cost of tuition, books, and supplies. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Veterans Education Assistance Program - Chapter 32

Individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, served a continuous period of 181 days or more and contributed financially toward the education program are eligible for the VEAP program. Monthly benefits are determined by adding the amount of personal contributions and Department of Defence contributions made during the years of active service.

Vietnam Era GI Bill - Chapter 34

Individuals who entered active duty service prior to December 31, 1976, and served a minimum of 181 days of active duty after January 31, 1955. Benefits must be used before January 1, 1990.

GI Bill for Dependents - Chapter 35

A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100 percent disabled veteran may be eligible for veteran educational benefits. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of 27 or 8 years from the date of eligibility is determined, whichever is later.

Montgomery GI Bill for Reservists - Chapter 1606

An individual who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve or National Guard for a period of 6 years after July 1, 1985, and has completed the initial active duty training is eligible for veteran benefits. This program does not require a contribution by the service person.

Diversity Abroad, in cooperation with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) offers scholarships to prospective American students interested in studying in Australia during the spring (6), summer (8) and fall (6) intakes.

Read more

The Fulbright Program is one the largest and most prestigious educational exchange programs in the world. The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is one of over 50 Fulbright Commissions in the world who work with the United States Department of State to facilitate the Fulbright Program between the United States and over 150 countries worldwide.

Read more

The Gilman Scholarship Program seeks to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. Established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000, the Gilman Program offers scholarships for students who have been traditionally underrepresented in education abroad and provides awards for U.S undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide.

Read more

Experience of a lifetime

Bond University offers international students a world-class campus with access to world renowned academics, state of the art facilities and technology on Australia's Gold Coast - one of the best places in the world to live and study

Bond University provides high quality teaching and learning environments  to ensure you are equipped with key skills that recruiters world wide are looking for! 

Studying in Australia at Bond University offers an unique educational experience set against a dynamic international student community which means you will be fostering personal and business contacts across the globe. 



Bachelor qualifications are available in an extensive range of disciplines in all faculties. They generally comprise 24 subjects and can be completed at Bond in two years of full-time study, although some Law and Medical/Health Sciences programs are longer.

Bond's accelerated degrees also offer students the opportunity to complete a double degree. Combined degree courses offer opportunities for more focused or flexible career preparation. You can graduate with a double degree in the same time that students from other universities complete a single degree. Students can combine any two degrees from one faculty or from different faculties and the flexibility of our programs gives you the scope to develop a combined degree to suit your own interests and career goals.

For graduate studies, there are a number of opportunities for students at Bond. We offer graduate certificate and postgraduate diploma programs that entail one or two semesters’ coursework and, in most cases, these can be credited towards further study in a master's level program. Master's degrees are available in a wide range of disciplines in all faculties and schools. They generally comprise 12 subjects (one year full-time).

Study areas include:

Student Prospectus

Speak to an expert

Our Future Students team are available for virtual or phone one-on-one consultations. Complete the form below and we will be in touch.