This subject focuses on developing graduate competencies relevant to practice in public health nutrition, that field of public health service delivery concerned with the prevention of dietary related disease. This subject covers the methodology of assessing community/population needs, building community capacity, program planning, strategy implementation and evaluation relevant to diet-related disease prevention and health promotion. This subject includes the study of the educational, organisational, legislative and environmental change strategies used to improve the nutritional health of communities. This subject includes nutritional assessment skills development, consideration of food and nutrition monitoring and surveillance, health economics, food law, food security and systems analysis and development that support improved population health and well-being.
|Faculty||Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine|
|Study abroad||Not Available to Study Abroad students|
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the history and evolution of public health nutrition as a field of public health practice
2. Define the essential attributes of public health nutrition practice as conceptualized nationally and internationally
3. Describe and critically analyse current public health nutrition practice contexts, priorities, strategies and initiatives at a national and international level
4. Demonstrate capacity building strategy awareness and describe the role of capacity building as a core strategy in public health nutrition intervention development and implementation
5. Identify and analyse public health nutrition problems as a prelude to intervention prioritisation and design
6. Demonstrate an awareness of, and knowledge of the determinants of the major public health nutrition issues/priorities and at risk population groups, and how this knowledge is applied to intervention management
7. Apply skill and knowledge in public health nutrition intervention management (planning, implementation and evaluation)
8. Make recommendations on food and nutrition policy
9. Apply knowledge of the various public health nutrition strategy options and applications.
10. Demonstrate analytical skills relevant to public health nutrition practice.
Please check the subject outline for pre-requisite subjects.