This subject will develop student competencies relating to the assessment and diagnosis of nutritional status of individuals and populations to meet entry-level competency expectations of Dietitians Australia. This includes exploration of the limitations and utility of nutrition assessment methods relevant to clinical, food service, public health practice and nutrition research and evaluation. Key content areas include quantitative and qualitative assessment and evaluation of nutritional status using dietary assessment, anthropometry including paediatric growth assessment, laboratory, body composition and clinical methods. Nutrition screening and assessment tools and methods will be covered in detail. This is a core subject for nutrition and dietetic practice.
|Faculty||Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine|
1. Apply appropriate methodology to collect food and nutrient intake of individuals and populations.
2. Apply quantitative and qualitative methods to assess food and nutrient intake against relevant nutrition requirements.
3. Apply physical activity assessment methods and reference standards to determine energy expenditure of individuals.
4. Demonstrate foundational skills in collecting and interpreting non-dietary related patient information such as medical, socio-cultural, psychological, economic, environmental, clinical, and anthropometric data.
5. Demonstrate foundational skills in conducting malnutrition screening and assessment.
6. Demonstrate foundational skills in interpreting patient data to identify and record nutrition problems and generate diagnoses.
7. Describe professional duty of care in accordance with relevant professional codes of conduct, ethical requirements and accepted protocols in nutrition and dietetic practice.
Must be admitted into CC-63039 - Graduate Certificate of Nutrition OR CC-63040 - Graduate Diploma of Nutrition OR CC-63041 - Master of Nutrition and Dietetic Practice
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
|Withdraw – Financial?||15/07/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||25/07/2021|