A Master in Actuarial Practice starts here
The upcoming semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they’re on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond’s exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
Studying a Master of Actuarial Practice at Bond not only prepares you for a job that is in high demand, but also develops a diverse skill set that can be transferred across numerous industries and disciplines. If you enjoy mathematics and want to develop high-level quantitative analysis skills and use them to solve problems in a business content, then a career in Actuarial Science is a step in the right direction.
For students without a related undergraduate degree, the Master of Actuarial Practice is a five-semester program which covers all university components of Actuarial Part I (Foundation) and Part II (Actuary Program) qualification with the Actuaries Institute.
It is an innovative and immersive program which helps students develop skills in mathematics, programming, finance and data science. Students have the opportunity to undertake a specialisation. The recommended specialisation is Data Analytics, however students have the option to choose any other Bond Business School specialisation.
Campus and Bond University Experience
For the past 15 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, the Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
Bond Business School brings industry into the classroom, providing a personalised educational experience, combining studies with a transformative life experience. As a Bond student you will have access to an array of networking opportunities including the Bond Business Leaders Forum and Business Links which are a series of presentations from high profile Australian and International business leaders, providing invaluable provide invaluable development and networking opportunities for business professionals, the local community and beyond. Students at Bond Business School have access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer.
Take your degree for a test drive
Try further study on for size at a Postgraduate Test Drive. Meet with a personal Regional Manager on campus or virtually to learn more about studying at Bond, and to explore how a postgraduate degree can support your professional goals. This curated experience considers your unique circumstances, giving you an unmatched opportunity to have all of your questions about postgraduate study answered.
What our students say
- Complete a 20-week thesis in the final semester designed to support learning, personal development and professional practice
- Have the opportunity to gain industry experience while you study
- Be mentored by leading academics. Even outside of class time, our academics have an open door policy that means they will not only know you by name, they’ll actively mentor your progress
- Learn in small class sizes. Our high student to teacher ratio opens doors to industry placements, research projects, job opportunities and help whenever you need it
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours
- Gain access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer
- Have the opportunity to gain a Bloomberg certification during your degree and unlock your potential for more job opportunities in the global market
About the program
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, the Master of Actuarial Practice is an innovative and immersive program that combines advanced mathematics, statistics, data analytics, actuarial risk theory, finance, economics and accounting with large-scale, real-life commercial data analysis to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. Show more
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, the Master of Actuarial Practice is an innovative and immersive program that combines advanced mathematics, statistics, data analytics, actuarial risk theory, finance, economics and accounting with large-scale, real-life commercial data analysis to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. An integral part of this degree is the development of research skills and actuarial judgement through the Actuarial Control Cycle subjects and the Actuarial Research Thesis subject.
The Master of Actuarial Practice will deliver smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program will develop skills in the challenge of handling ‘big data’ to create practical solutions for real-world problems. The successful completion of the program at an appropriate level of performance will lead to Part I and Part II qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
|Mode||On Campus and Remote|
Due to current travel restrictions, this program will temporarily be delivered using a mixture of on-campus, remote and multi-modal classes to support and engage all students, from all parts of the world.
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Master of Actuarial Practice program comprises 20 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (13)
- ACCT71-100 Accounting Principles
- ACSC71-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC71-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC71-301 Contingencies
- ACSC71-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC71-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC71-307 Survival Analysis
- DTSC71-200 Data Science
- ECON71-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON71-200 Linear Models and Applied Econometrics
- ECON71-202 Macroeconomics
- FINC71-601 Corporate Finance
- FINC71-603 Investments
Professional subjects (4)
- ACSC71-400 Actuarial Control Cycle 1
- ACSC71-401 Actuarial Control Cycle 2
- ACSC71-403 Actuarial Research Essay (20 Weeks) (final semester subject)
- DTSC71-302 Statistical Learning and Regression Models
- Students can choose 3 General Elective Subjects (30CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires the Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee divided by the number of standard full-time semesters required to complete the program. Fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester.
Semester program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $21,058* per semester average
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $105,290
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than most other universities.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
* Note: for students commencing January 2021 the University has held the 2020 tuition fee amount in recognition of the current circumstances, with 2021 fees effective only from the University’s May 2021 semester.
Academic entry requirements
Entry into the Master of Actuarial Practice requires the completion of an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution and well-developed advanced mathematical abilities.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
Bond Actuarial graduates are very well placed in the job market and the skills are highly transferrable between countries. The growing demand for data science skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data, particularly in applications of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries.
A Master of Actuarial Practice will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Business Consulting
- Data Analytics and Predictive Algorithms
- E-Commerce and Digital Marketing
- Health Administration
- Quantitative Research and Infrastructure
- Risk Management
- Safety Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Statistical Inferences
- Superannuation and Lifetime Asset Management
- Technology Innovation
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employable as a:
- Business Efficiency Consultant
- Investment Valuation Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Hedge Fund Manager
- Actuarial Consultant
- Insurance Actuary
- Superannuation Actuary
- Regulatory Actuary
- Risk Assessment Analyst
- Data Science Analyst
- Liability Manager
- Pricing Associate
- Portfolio Analyst
Bond is one of only seven universities in Australia, the only one in Queensland, to offer the fully accredited program by the Actuaries Institute and has recognition agreements with the Society of Actuaries (worldwide).
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia who are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
At Bond, we believe education goes beyond the classroom. Our unique Beyond Bond program will expand your horizons with internships, global volunteering programs, international competitions, industry conferences, study tours, community service and much, much more.