An introduction to data science
The number of data science workers in Australia will increase by 2.4% annually. The demand for data science skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data, particularly in applications of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries. In Bond’s Master of Business Data Analytics you will learn the skills to become a Data Analyst which can be applied in a vast range of industry sectors such as health, marketing and finance.
In this program you will:
- Learn the technical skills, including R and Python languages most commonly used in data analytics programming and implementation
- Focus on the practical application and how these techniques can be used to solve real-world business problems and better inform evidence-based decision making.
- Be mentored by Australia’s leading economists, statisticians, financial analysts and mathematicians
The Master of Business Data Analytics program is focused on using data analytics techniques to improve business decision making. It is a quantitative program, combining elements of statistics, computing, big data and machine learning.
Campus and Bond University Experience
For the past 15 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, The Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
As a Bond student, you will have unparalleled access to the Bond FinTech Hub. Our students gain practical experience in executing deals, managing portfolios, trading financial securities and changing market conditions. Access to these facilities prepare our graduates to ‘hit the ground running’ in financial organisations. Bond Business School has 40 Bloomberg terminals, the most of any university in Australia and officially a member of the Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner (ELP) Program. We are proudly 1 of only 3 universities in Australia to achieve this partnership.
Take your degree for a test drive
Try further study on for size at a Postgraduate Test Drive. Meet with a personal Regional Manager on campus or virtually to learn more about studying at Bond, and to explore how a postgraduate degree can support your professional goals. This curated experience considers your unique circumstances, giving you an unmatched opportunity to have all of your questions about postgraduate study answered.
Meet Professor of Data Science Steven Stern
- Learn the skills to become a Data Analyst, no prior experience in analytics or programming is required
- Learn in small class sizes of no more than 20-30 students, delivering more interaction, more support and more opportunities
- Gain industry experience while you study. Students have access to practicing the application and analysis on real industry data including a capstone project unit
- Learn how to identify, source, extract and analyse information from industry-leading software tools and digital platforms including access to Bloomberg’s live financial market data
- Learn R and Python programming languages – most common used in industry where the techniques are developed in, domestic and internationally
- Have the opportunity to gain a Bloomberg certification during your degree and unlock your potential for more job opportunities in the global market
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours available within South-East Asia and Silicon Valley
- Gain immediate access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer
About the program
Data Analytics has become one of the highest growth areas of academic and commercial practice. With applications in nearly all aspects of quantitative endeavours and information management, a skillset in analytics, statistical and machine learning is highly valued and sought after. The Master of Business Data Analytics is delivered via smaller classes providing personalised support and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Show more
Data Analytics has become one of the highest growth areas of academic and commercial practice. With applications in nearly all aspects of quantitative endeavours and information management, a skillset in analytics, statistical and machine learning is highly valued and sought after. The Master of Business Data Analytics is delivered via smaller classes providing personalised support and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Focus within this program is on strategically sound recommendations and data-driven business decisions. Show less
|Duration||4 semesters (1 year 4 months)|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Business and Commerce|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
Master of Business Data Analytics program comprises 12 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (6)
- DTSC71-100 Business Analytics Coding
- DTSC71-200 Data Science
- DTSC71-300 infrastructure for Data Analytics
- DTSC71-301 Applied Machine Learning
- DTSC71-302 Statistical Learning and Regression Models
- ECON71-200 Linear Models and Applied Econometrics
Analytic subjects (4)
Students must take 40 Credit Points of subjects from the Analytics choice of Subjects.
- ACSC71-307 Survival Analysis
- DTSC71-303 Data Analytics Case Studies
- DTSC71-304 Advanced Data Analytics Projects
- DTSC71-305 Financial Trading Systems
- DTSC71-306 Advanced Machine Learning
- DTSC71-307 Advanced Statistical Learning Models
- ECON71-300 Advanced Econometrics
- FINC71-302 Finance Applications and Analysis
- MKTG71-602 Market Research
Business subjects (1)
Students must take 10 Credit Points of subjects from the Business choice of Subjects.
- ACCT71-100 Accounting Principles
- ECON71-100 Principles of Economics
- FINC71-101 Fundamentals of Finance
- MKTG71-600 Marketing Fundamentals
- Students can choose up to 10 Credit Points of General Elective Subjects (10cp).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a GPA credit average and requires approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires the Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee divided by the number of standard full-time semesters required to complete the program. Fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester.
Semester program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $15,598* per semester average
- Students commencing study in 2023: $15,993* per semester average
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $62,390
- Students commencing study in 2023: $63,970
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than most other universities.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Academic entry requirements
Completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Level 7 Bachelor degree at an approved institution.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
A Master of Business Data Analytics is a quantitative program combining elements of statistics, computing, big data and machine learning which can be applied in a range of industry sectors including, but not limited to:
- Finance and Accounting
- Mining, Oil and Gas
In today’s commercial industries, data analytic skills are highly sought after as it enables organisations to make more informed business decisions.
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employment opportunities include working in organisation as a:
- Business Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Statistics consultant / Data Analytics Consultant
- Data Mining Engineer
- Data architect
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia who are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
As a graduate of Bond’s Master of Business Data Analytics, you will have a competitive edge in your career. Employer satisfaction with graduates from Bond University has been rated highest in Australia for two years in a row, according to the 2019 Employer Satisfaction Survey published by the Department of Education and Training.