Inherent Requirements statement
Bond University strongly supports the right of all people to pursue studies. Bond embraces diversity and endeavours to accommodate all students. The University’s inherent requirements support students to make informed choices in relation to their studies.
In order to provide advice to students and prospective students the following statement of inherent requirements applies to all programs at Bond University. The statement is written to reflect the essential knowledge, skills and experience required to successfully complete a program at Bond University.
Individual programs may have additional inherent requirements. Programs with current specific inherent requirements are listed below.
If you would like to discuss your ability to meet these inherent requirements, please contact either the Student Affairs and Service Quality office in the relevant Faculty/School or the University Disability Officer to discuss reasonable accommodations that might be available to enable you to meet these requirements. Note that such reasonable accommodations will not fundamentally change the nature of the inherent requirements or the program’s learning outcomes.
Inherent requirements for all programs at Bond University include the ability to:
- consistently participate in classes and actively engage in the analysis of complex, and at times, challenging materials, and in debate
- work independently, or, when required, contribute constructively as a part of a group
- engage with, analyse and comprehend complex written English appropriate to the discipline and relevant interdisciplinary materials
- clearly and independently communicate in written and verbal English
- critically evaluate and apply disciplinary and interdisciplinary content via written and verbal English
- achieve sufficient competence with digital technology to effectively engage with learning resources and the completion of assessment items
- display behaviours conducive to effective participation in complex learning environments
- demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills
- demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity towards, the needs of others
- complete assessment tasks independently, or in collaboration with others as part of a group
- actively and safely participate in and complete, those clinical, laboratory, fieldwork and/or placement activities that are required by the relevant program
- successfully participate in activities that reflect the multicultural Australian and global context which may include mixed genders, and religious and culturally diverse groups and environments in on-campus and off-campus settings
- comply with Australian laws and University rules and policies, including the Code of Conduct for Students and relevant individual program Student Charters
Acknowledgements: these statements of Inherent Requirements are based on information available in the following sources:
Disability Standards for Education 2005 https://docs.education.gov.au/system/files/doc/other/disability_standards_for_education_2005_plus_guidance_notes.pdf viewed 10/09/2019
Disability Standards for Education. Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training. https://www.adcet.edu.au/disability-practitioner/Legislation-Standards/disability-standards-for-education/ viewed 10/09/2019
Brett, M., Harvey, A., Funston, A., Spicer, R. & Wood, A. (2016). The role of inherent requirement statements in Australian universities ( NCSEHE). https://www.ncsehe.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/The-Role-of-Inherent-Requirement-Statements-in-Australian-Universities.pdf viewed 10/09/2019
Inherent Requirements. Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training. https://www.adcet.edu.au/disability-practitioner/course-design-and-implementation/Inherent-requirements/ viewed 10/09/2019
The University of Melbourne statements of Core Participation Requirements – e.g.:
Master of Laws. https://law.unimelb.edu.au/students/masters/studies/core-particiption-requirements viewed 10/09/2019
Bachelor of Biomedicine. https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/2019/courses/b-bmed/entry-participation-requirements viewed 10/09/2019
Western Sydney University Inherent Requirements
https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/ir/inherent_requirements viewed 10/09/2019
RMIT University Inherent Requirements
https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/applying-to-rmit/local-student-applications/entry-requirements/inherent-requirements viewed 10/09/2019