About the program
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, the Master of Actuarial Practice is an innovative and immersive program that combines advanced mathematics, statistics, data analytics, actuarial risk theory, finance, economics and accounting with large-scale, real-life commercial data analysis to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. Show more
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, the Master of Actuarial Practice is an innovative and immersive program that combines advanced mathematics, statistics, data analytics, actuarial risk theory, finance, economics and accounting with large-scale, real-life commercial data analysis to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. An integral part of this degree is the development of research skills and actuarial judgement through the Actuarial Control Cycle subjects and the Actuarial Research Thesis subject.
The Master of Actuarial Practice will deliver smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program will develop skills in the challenge of handling ‘big data’ to create practical solutions for real-world problems. The successful completion of the program at an appropriate level of performance will lead to Part I and Part II qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
|Duration||6 semesters (2 years)|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Master of Actuarial Practice program comprises 16 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (16)
- ACCT71-100 Accounting Principles
- ACSC71-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC71-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC71-301 Contingencies
- ACSC71-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC71-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC71-307 Survival Analysis
- ACSC71-400 Actuarial Control Cycle 1
- ACSC71-401 Actuarial Control Cycle 2
- DTSC71-200 Data Science
- DTSC71-302 Statistical Learning and Regression Models
- ECON71-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON71-200 Linear Models and Applied Econometrics
- ECON71-202 Macroeconomics
- FINC71-601 Corporate Finance
- FINC71-603 Investments
- Students can choose 2 General Elective Subjects (20CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided they meet the requirements. Please discuss this with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires the Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
Academic entry requirements
Entry into the Master of Actuarial Practice requires the completion of an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution and well-developed advanced mathematical abilities.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English language proficiency requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
Bond Actuarial graduates are very well placed in the job market and the skills are highly transferrable between countries. The growing demand for data science skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data, particularly in applications of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries.
A Master of Actuarial Practice will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Business Consulting
- Data Analytics and Predictive Algorithms
- E-Commerce and Digital Marketing
- Health Administration
- Quantitative Research and Infrastructure
- Risk Management
- Safety Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Statistical Inferences
- Superannuation and Lifetime Asset Management
- Technology Innovation
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employable as a:
- Business Efficiency Consultant
- Investment Valuation Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Hedge Fund Manager
- Actuarial Consultant
- Insurance Actuary
- Superannuation Actuary
- Regulatory Actuary
- Risk Assessment Analyst
- Data Science Analyst
- Liability Manager
- Pricing Associate
- Portfolio Analyst
Bond is one of only seven universities in Australia, the only one in Queensland, to offer the fully accredited program by the Actuaries Institute and has recognition agreements with the Society of Actuaries (worldwide).
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia that are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
At Bond, we believe education goes beyond the classroom. Our unique Beyond Bond program will expand your horizons with internships, global volunteering programs, international competitions, industry conferences, study tours, community service and much, much more.