COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.

Other costs to consider

Costs to consider

In addition to your University tuition fees, there are a number of other costs to consider when planning your budget. The following information will give you some guidelines but, keep in mind, that costs will be different for every individual:

Catering for students who come from all over Australia and all over the world, we offer a range of accommodation options that make it easy to live and study at Bond University.

On-campus student residences: Live in a private or shared room on campus with meals provided, sharing all the fun of student residence life with your fellow roommates.

Off-campus independent rental accommodation: If you'd prefer a little more independence, we work with local real estate agents who can help you find the perfect rental house or flat near the university.

Home-stay: For those who need a little more support, we work with an exceptional network of caring Homestay families.

Dining plans: Our meal packages are included in the accommodation costs for our on-campus student residences but students living off-campus are also welcome to purchase our convenient meal plans.

Holiday accommodation alternative

It is important to note that students residing in on-campus accommodation are required to vacate the premises for approximately three weeks over the December holidays so you will need to make alternative arrangements for accommodation over this period. Most students tell us they generally go on holiday, stay with friends or return home.

The Bond University Student Services and Amenities Fee, aims to provide a balanced, practical approach to funding campus services and amenities of a non-academic nature, such as sporting and recreational activities, student advocacy and legal services, employment and career advice, orientation activities and food services.

The Bond University Student Services and Amenities Fee is due for payment at the start of each semester with all other fees. Continuing students’ access carries over to the next semester. New students can access facilities and services when they are enrolled for their first semester.

Read more

As at all universities, you will need to allow around $300 per semester for text books, stationery, software and other resources. These costs can be off-set by selling old texts and buying second-hand at the Bond Book Sale held during Orientation Week before the start of each semester.

For some programs you may also have to pay for additional items such as:

  • uniforms and safety equipment
  • program-related activities such as clinical placements, excursions, international study tour costs, internships and externships
  • immunisation/vaccination.

These additional compulsory costs are not covered by your tuition fees. The costs associated with studying in each faculty can be found on the following pages:

If you are undertaking a combined degree that involves more than one faculty area, remember to check the additional costs for both programs.

Other costs to consider as a student include mobile phone, transport/petrol, personal items, social outings, etc. (Please note that parking is free on the Bond campus).

If you are living off-campus in rented accommodation, you will also need to budget for:

  • Rental bond – usually the equivalent of four weeks’ rent, payable at the start of your lease and refundable when you move out, provided the premises are left in good condition.
  • Meals – you may wish to take advantage of Bond’s convenient dining plans for on-campus meals and snacks, but you will also need to budget for other meals during the week.
  • Utilities – as a tenant, you are responsible for payment of your electricity and some landlords also charge for water.
  • Household items – home wifi, cleaning equipment, laundry costs and other everyday items.
  • Insurance – for your contents, car and possibly private health cover.

There are a number of online budget calculators to assist you with budgeting - such as Money Smart Budget Planner – but the following guide is based on a recent survey of students (adjusted for inflation to 2014 prices). There was a wide range of expenses reported in the survey so we have limited this information to the most common responses. Your actual costs will also vary greatly depending on your personal choices but this table will give you a general idea of living costs on the Gold Coast.

Rent and Utilities$170.00 - $270.00$320.00 plus$260.00 - $355.00$270.00
Electricity, Gas and Water$20.00$20.00IncludedIncluded
Eating Out$40.00 - $60.00
Phone and Internet$10.00 - $20.00
Note that there is free Wi-Fi on campus
Parking and TransportParking on the Bond University campus is free for students.
Most students live within a 1km walking distance to the main campus. Transport costs vary depending on mode of transport but you can budget $10.00 - $20.00.
Other: Photocopying, Stationery, Sport etc.$25.00 - $50.00
Weekly total$350.00 - $515.00$500.00 plus$345.00 - $505.00$365.00
Annual total$18,200.00 - $26,780.00$26,000.00 plus$17,940.00 - $26,260.00$18,460.00 - $21,840.00

As shown in the table above, we estimate the living costs for students is between $18,000 and $27,000 per year – depending on your living arrangements and personal choices.

International students will also need to budget for set-up and establishment costs, as well as any unexpected emergencies or health expenses. Additional costs to consider include:

  • On arrival: airport transfers, temporary accommodation and meals.
  • Set-up: linen, towels, basic homewards, local mobile phone contract, transport.
  • Travel and holidays: hopefully you will take the opportunity to do some travelling around Australia during the semester breaks.
  • Costs for any dependents who may be accompanying you.

If you are living on campus or in Homestay, some of these costs may not apply – in fact, you may not need much more than $200-$300 to cover establishment costs.

If you plan to live off campus in shared accommodation, we suggest you allow $800-$2,000 for establishment costs, including your rental bond security deposit.

Student visa living costs and evidence of funds

To be granted an International student visa, you may need to show you have genuine access to enough money to cover your living expenses for the first year or two studying in Australia. The visa requirements will depend on your circumstances, so if you have any questions or concerns, contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Overseas Health Cover

It is also a condition of your International student visa to secure Overseas Health Cover

Working in Australia

Holders of a student visa with work rights may work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester and full-time on holiday breaks. This will reduce the costs of living in Australia, however, you should not expect to cover tuition fees or living expenses from casual work. For further information on working in Australia, visit the Department of Home Affairs.