|Faculty:||Faculty of Law|
Civil Dispute Resolution is a compulsory subject in the Bachelor of Laws program offered by the Faculty of Law. The subject examines the procedures involved in initiating, conducting, resolving, enforcing, or appealing the outcome of civil proceedings in state and federal courts. Specific attention is paid to jurisdiction, commencing proceedings, joinder of claims and parties, pleadings and amendment of pleadings, disclosure, interlocutory applications, settlement, costs, and execution of judgments and appeals. The subject also considers alternative methods of dispute resolution, in particular, negotiation, mediation and arbitration. Emphasis is placed on the demonstration of the following skills: legal writing and drafting, and dispute resolution and collaboration.
- Demonstrate understanding of the following legal topics: the adversarial system; commencement and progress of court proceedings; joinder of claims and parties, estoppel and res judicata; disposition without trial, including alternative dispute resolution and settlement offers; and trial and judgment, appeal, enforcement and costs.
- Demonstrate competency in exercising the following skills at an advanced level, with creativity, initiative and judgment: legal writing and drafting; and dispute resolution and collaboration.
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, including a commitment to: learning and working independently and reflectively; behaving ethically and responsibly; and managing time effectively and meeting deadlines.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Students must be admitted into an approved Bachelor Law degree OR Bachelor of Laws combined degree OR be an approved Law Study Abroad OR Law Exchange student.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
- May 2023 [Standard - Standard [May 2023]]
- January 2023 [Standard - Standard [January 2023]]
- September 2022 [Standard - Standard [September 2022]]
- May 2022 [Standard - Standard [May 2022]]
- January 2022 [Standard - Standard [January 2022]]
- September 2021 [Standard - Standard [September 2021]]
- May 2021 [Standard - Standard [May 2021]]
- January 2021 [Standard - Standard [January 2021]]
- September 2020 [Standard - Standard [September 2020]]
- May 2020 [Standard - Standard [May 2020]]
- January 2020 [Standard - Standard [January 2020]]
- September 2019 [Standard - Standard [September 2019]]
- May 2019 [Standard - Standard [May 2019]]
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 20/03/2022 Semester start: 16/05/2022 Subject start: 16/05/2022 Cancellation 1: 30/05/2022 Cancellation 2: 06/06/2022 Last enrolment: 29/05/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 11/06/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 02/07/2022 Teaching census: 10/06/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 19/03/2023 Semester start: 15/05/2023 Subject start: 15/05/2023 Cancellation 1: 29/05/2023 Cancellation 2: 05/06/2023 Last enrolment: 28/05/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 10/06/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 01/07/2023 Teaching census: 09/06/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/06/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||02/07/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|
|Withdraw - Financial:||10/06/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||01/07/2023|