An introduction to the analytical approaches corporate managers use in making financial decisions to maximise firm value. The theory and application of fundamental concepts of time value of money, the relationship between risk and return (i.e., CAPM), portfolio theory of investment (i.e., diversification), and capital structure are examined in detail. You will apply these concepts and assorted financial tools to value stocks and bonds, estimate the cost of capital and implement the discounted cashflow technique to make capital budgeting decisions. You will also demonstrate competence with Bloomberg Market Concepts.
- Explain the key issues faced by corporate financial managers and the analytical approaches required to resolve these issues to maximise firm value.
- Apply time value of money concepts using formulae and financial calculators to value bonds and common stocks.
- Explain the risk/return trade-off using examples from Portfolio Theory, the Capital Asset Pricing Model and the relationship between a firm and the capital markets.
- Demonstrate competence using Bloomberg Market Concepts.
- Apply concepts of cash flow analysis, evaluation techniques and the cost of capital to make a sound capital budgeting decision.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
- January 2022 [Standard - Standard [January 2022]]
- September 2021 [Standard - Standard [September 2021]]
- May 2021 [Standard - Standard [May 2021]]
- January 2021 [Standard - Standard [January 2021]]
- September 2020 [Not Applicable - Not Applicable [September 2020]]
- September 2020 [Standard - Standard [September 2020]]
- May 2020 [Standard - Standard [May 2020]]
- January 2020 [Standard - Standard [January 2020]]
- September 2019 [Standard - Standard [September 2019]]
- May 2019 [Standard - Standard [May 2019]]
- January 2019 [Standard - Standard [January 2019]]
- September 2018 [Standard - Standard [September 2018]]
- May 2018 [Standard - Standard [May 2018]]
- January 2018 [Standard - Standard [January 2018]]
- September 2017 [Standard - Standard [September 2017]]
- May 2017 [Standard - Standard [May 2017]]