Dr Colette Southam
- Associate Professor of Finance
- Bond Business School
Level 4, Building 2, Bond Business School, Bond University
Dr Colette Southam teaches International Finance, International Financial Management and Mergers, and Acquisitions in the Faculty of Business. Prior to joining Bond, Colette was on faculty at the Ivey Business School, Western University, Canada and taught in their undergraduate, Executive MBA and PhD programs. Colette has received numerous teaching awards. With the Ivey Consulting Program, she mentored dozens of student teams helping their clients tackle real world strategic issues. Prior to becoming an academic, Colette worked as a geneticist working with academia, the biotechnology industry, and Health Canada to develop gene probes to detect food pathogens.
Dr Southam's primary research focus is international and corporate finance. She studies the market segmentation and its mitigation by cross-listing, and strives to provide insight into executive compensation practices. Colette has completed several market-based projects involving initial public offerings and has ongoing research on global diversification. She has co-authored two articles about real options and is working with an interdisciplinary team to develop a real options valuation model for carbon sequestration and has begun applying her finance expertise to sustainability research. Colette has published in top tier academic journals including the Journal of International Business Studies and the Journal of World Business, but chooses projects that will also have high impact on business.
- American Finance Association
- Western Finance Association
- Financial Management Association
At the Ivey School of Business, Colette taught HBA (International Finance, Introductory Finance, Ivey Consulting Project), Executive MBA (International Strategic Financial Planning), and Ph.D. (Corporate Finance, Financial Fundamentals).
- Bond University Business Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, September, 2013
- Bond University Business Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, May, 2013
- Bond University Business Students' Teaching Excellence Award, May, 2012
- Ivey Business School David Burgoyne Teaching Award for Outstanding Commitment to Student Development, 2007
- Ivey Business School Dean's Commendation for Teaching Excellence, 2007-2012
- Western University, Canada Student Council Teaching Honour Roll, 2007
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (Molecular Genetics), University of Guelph, Canada
- Master of Business Administration (with Distinction), Northern Arizona University, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy (Finance), Ivey Business School, Western University, Canada