Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
The University campus has coped well with the events of the last 24 hours. There is still some localised flooding which is expected to gradually subside once the high tide passes. However there is still a significant amount of surface water and those on campus are reminded to take care. The weir bridge remains underwater and no one should attempt to cross it.
In the interests of our students who are nearing the end of semester, we have several staff particularly in the office of Facilities Management working extremely hard to restore normal operations. I take this opportunity to thank the Director of Facilities Mr Jared Taylor and all his team who have performed an amazing job over the last 24 hours to keep the campus and our residents safe and dry. I also thank our Security team who have been pro‑active, diligent and assisted when needed.
The University will re-open tomorrow morning with business as normal. Please note the following specific arrangements:
- The MLC will remain open 24 hours and will stay open tonight.
- The Main Library will open at 10.00am tomorrow and close at 9.00pm.
- The Law Library will open at 10.00am tomorrow and close at 6.00pm.
- The Sports Centre will open as per normal Saturday hours.
- Food and beverage outlets will open as per normal weekend hours.
- Events scheduled for the weekend will proceed as planned including the rugby home round on Saturday and Live @ Bond on Sunday (now transferred to Don’s Tavern).
Any students with questions about their studies or assessment matters arising from the impact of the last two days should contact their relevant subject academic coordinator.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this challenging time. Our thoughts remain with those affected including North Queensland, the South-East and northern NSW.