Your path to a Master of Actuarial Science starts at Bond
The May semester for this program will be delivered remotely. In these extraordinary times, students will be able to access Bond's exceptional, personalised learning experience from all around the world. Learn more about remote learning at Bond
Never before have organisations around the world had such extraordinary access to personal information, health statistics, buying habits, population movement, employment trends and much, much more. In these numbers lie the answers to the big questions that really matter. Internationally credited, a Master of Actuarial Science at Bond University is a short three semester program that provides those with an undergraduate degree in an alternative field an opportunity to gain an Actuarial Science degree and complete actuarial Part I (Foundation program) subjects. The program will develop your skills in the challenge of crunching 'big data' numbers to create practical solutions for real world problems. Students who have successfully completed cognate programs may be eligible for advanced standing of up to 40 credit points towards the Master of Actuarial Science program.
Bond is the only university in Queensland, and one of only seven in Australia to offer the fully accredited program by the Actuaries Institute and has recognition agreements with the Society of Actuaries (worldwide).
The Transformer: be a game changer.
What our students say
- Learn in smaller classes
- Unparalleled access to Bond Business School's two financial trading rooms and 40 Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals.
- Opportunity to experience global business environments with international Study Tours available within Asia, South-East Asia and Silicon Valley.
About the program
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, the Master of Actuarial Science is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Master of Actuarial Science will be taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Show more
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, the Master of Actuarial Science is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Master of Actuarial Science will be taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program will develop skills in the challenge of crunching 'big data' numbers to create practical solutions for real-world problems. Employment opportunities include working as an investment analyst, portfolio manager, actuarial consultant, insurance actuary, superannuation actuary, risk analyst, big data analyst, liability manager and high-level manager. The successful completion of the program at an appropriate level of performance will lead to Part I qualification with the Actuaries Institute Show less
The May 2020 semester will be delivered remotely.
|Duration||3 semesters (1 year)|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Master of Actuarial Science will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Data Analytics
- Risk Management
The Master of Actuarial Science program comprises 12 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (11)
- ACSC71-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC71-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC71-300 Insurance Models
- ACSC71-301 Contingencies
- ACSC71-302 Advanced Modelling
- ACCT71-600 Accounting Principles
- ECON71-202 Macroeconomics
- ECON71-600 Economics For Business
- FINC71-305 Derivative Products
- FINC71-601 Corporate Finance
- FINC71-603 Investments
- Students can choose 1 General Elective Subjects (10CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
- Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experience or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a GPA credit average and requires approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on an average per semester cost, fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester:
- 2020 fees: $21,440 per semester (based on 4 subjects per semester)
- 2021 fees: $22,560 per semester (based on 4 subjects per semester)
Price may vary depending on elective discipline choice.
To support students during the economic crisis created by the current pandemic, financial aid will be provided to students in Semester 2 in 2020. This is in the form of a one-off tuition fee relief, which will be a 20% reduction in Semester 2 tuition fees. For more information, see the Frequently Asked Questions.
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than if you went to another university.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
Academic entry requirements
Entry into the Master of Actuarial Science requires the completion of an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution and well-developed mathematical abilities.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English language proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to How to apply for credit for more information