A career in actuarial science starts now
The September semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they’re on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond’s exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
Bond’s Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program) develops students’ skills in the challenge of crunching 'big data' numbers to create practical solutions for real-world problems.
Bond is one of seven in Australia and the only university in Queensland to be Accredited by the Actuaries Institute. It is an innovative and immersive program where you will combine elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making.
Successful completion of the program provides all university components of Part I (Foundation Program) exemptions with the Actuaries Institute.
Campus and Bond University Experience
For the past 14 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, The Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
As a Bond student, you will have unparalleled access to the Bond FinTech Hub. Our students gain practical experience in executing deals, managing portfolios, trading financial securities and changing market conditions. Access to these facilities prepare our graduates to ‘hit the ground running’ in financial organisations. Bond Business School has 40 Bloomberg terminals, the most of any university in Australia and officially a member of the Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner (ELP) Program. We are proudly 1 of only 3 universities in Australia to achieve this partnership.
What our students say
- 3 Year Program designed for international students who wish to study in Australia via a two-semester model
- Learn in small class sizes. Our 10:1 student to teacher ratio and access to academics opens doors to industry placements, research projects, job opportunities and help whenever you need it
- Access the Bond Business Mentoring Program. As a new undergraduate student supported by academic staff, senior students and alumni to help you transition into the Bond community
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours available within South-East Asia and Silicon Valley
- Access to an array of state-of-the-art learning resources
- You will have the opportunity to gain a Bloomberg certification during your degree and unlock your potential for more job opportunities in the global market
About the program
Designed for students who wish to study via a two-semester model, this three-year program means you will study during the January and September semesters of each year only and will complete the degree over three years rather than the usual two. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program) is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. Show more
Designed for students who wish to study via a two-semester model, this three-year program means you will study during the January and September semesters of each year only and will complete the degree over three years rather than the usual two. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program) is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program) is taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program develops students’ skills in the challenge of crunching 'big data' numbers to create practical solutions for real-world problems. Employment opportunities include working as an investment analyst, portfolio manager, actuarial consultant, insurance actuary, superannuation actuary, risk analyst, big data analyst, liability manager and high-level manager. Successful completion of the program can lead to Part I qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
|Mode||On Campus and Remote|
Multi-modal delivery with classes designed to support and engage all learners regardless of physical location.
|Duration||6 semesters (3 years)|
|Program type||Bachelors Degree|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program) comprises 24 subjects, as follows:
University core subjects (3)
- CORE11-001 Critical Thinking and Communication
- CORE11-002 Collaboration, Teams and Leadership
- CORE11-003 Responsibility, Integrity and Civic Discourse
Required subjects (14)
- ACCT11-100 Accounting for Decision Making
- ACSC12-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC12-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC13-301 Contingencies
- ACSC13-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC13-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC13-307 Survival Analysis
- ECON11-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON12-200 Econometrics
- ECON12-202 Contemporary Macroeconomics Issues
- FINC12-200 Fundamentals of Finance
- FINC13-301 Corporate Finance
- FINC13-303 Portfolio Analysis and Investment Management
- STAT11-112 Quantitative Methods
Students can choose 7 General Elective Subject (70CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
- Students are encouraged to undertake an optional major (60CP) or minor (40CP). This will replace six (6) or four (4) of your general electives.
A list of Majors and Minors is available here.
Please note: The Actuarial Science major or minor is not available for this program.
- Actuarial Science students are recommended to take A Finance and/or Big Data major as part of their program. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a GPA credit average and requires approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires Program Director's approval.
The following opportunities are also available to Bond Business School students.
- BUSN13-730: Business School International Semester
Students will be undertaking study at approved overseas institutes offering an international internship experience program, facilitating both academic study courses and practical industry internship placement
- Bond International Exchange Program
Current Bond students have the opportunity to study at one of 80+ leading universities in our network of exclusive international partnerships, for one or two semesters.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans
Important note for first semester students
You will be registered in the Bond Business Mentoring Program designed for all new undergraduate students; please be advised the first scheduled gathering is in the Bond Business School orientation, If you require further information please email [email protected]
The below fees are based on an average per semester cost, fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester:
- 2020 fees: $20,040 per semester (based on 4 subjects per semester)
- 2021 fees: $21,040 per semester (based on 4 subjects per semester)
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than if you went to another university.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
Applicants with recent secondary education (within the past two years)
Applicants must meet the University's general minimum admission criteria.
In addition, this program requires knowledge of advanced mathematics.
Visit our student profile if you are interested in the profile of all students who commenced undergraduate study at the Faculty in the January semester 2019.
International Secondary School students
For more information for International Students, including the International Baccalaureate, please go to the International Secondary School equivalency page.
Alternative entry pathways
For those applicants who do not currently have the required academic qualifications, there are a number of alternative entry pathways:
- Bond University Tertiary Preparation programs
- Bond University Diploma programs
- Other institutional Tertiary Preparation Programs
- Vocational education and training qualifications (Certificate IV and above)
- Prior higher education experience (at this university or another)
- Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)
- Professional or para-professional qualifications/experience
- Employment experience verified by a statement of service from the employer stating the position title and length of service and a very brief statement on the tasks undertaken.
For more information on what is required please visit our how to apply page.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English language proficiency requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
The growing demand for data science skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data, particularly in applications of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program) will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Data Analytics
- Risk Management
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employable as a:
- Investment analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Actuarial Consultant
- Insurance Actuary
- Superannuation Actuary
- Risk Analyst
- Big Data Analyst
- Liability Manager
High achieving students will be encouraged to complete their Bachelor of Actuarial Science (Honours) after successful completion of the program with Bond’s Centre for Actuarial and Financial Big Data Analytics.
Undertaking the Bachelor of Actuarial Science (Honours) allows students with an Actuarial Science degree to further develop their technical skills and learn how they can be best used within a broader business and economic setting.
Bond is one of only seven universities to offer the degree in Australia, the only one in Queensland to be Accredited by the Actuaries Institute.
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia who are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
As a graduate of Bond’s Bachelor of Actuarial Science, you will have a competitive edge in your career. Employer satisfaction with graduates from Bond University has been rated highest in Australia for two years in a row, according to the 2019 Employer Satisfaction Survey published by the Department of Education and Training.