A career in actuarial science starts now
The upcoming semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they're on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond's exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
Bond’s Bachelor of Actuarial Science develops students’ skills in all aspects of the quantitative assessment of business including financial risk evaluation and management as well as economic modelling and prediction. In addition, it includes opportunities to learn techniques in the important and growing field of business analytics to help create practical solutions for real-world problems.
Bond is one of seven in Australia and the only university in Queensland to be fully accredited by the Actuaries Institute. It’s actuarial education programs are innovative and immersive programs which helps student develop skills in mathematics, programming, finance and data science. Bachelor of Actuarial Science students can also strongly augment their employability by taking a Finance and/or Data Analytics major as part of their program.
Successful completion of the key elements of the program at the appropriate academic level provides exemption from each of the six components of the Foundation Program (Part I) of the Actuaries Institute qualification regime.
Campus and Bond University Experience
For the past 15 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, the Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
Bond Business School brings industry into the classroom, providing a personalised educational experience, combining studies with a transformative life experience. As a Business student you will have access to an array of networking opportunities including the Bond Business Leaders Forum and Business Links which are a series of presentations from high profile Australian and International business leaders, providing invaluable provide invaluable development and networking opportunities for business professionals, the local community and beyond. You will also have access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer.
2022 Year 12 entry
In a disrupted world, Year 12 students have shown incredible resilience in adapting to the ongoing challenges presented by the events of recent years. Year 12 students can be assessed now for a guaranteed offer for 2022 entry conditional on the completion of Year 12. Applications will be assessed based on their first semester Year 12 results and meeting any subject prerequisite requirements for their program.
Year 12 Extension Program
Are you in Year 12 and want to get a head start when it comes to getting into university? Join our two day workshop to gain insight into university life and assist with the transition from high school to university. Find out more
A degree of the future: the field of Actuarial Science
What our students say
- Have access to the Bond Business Mentoring Program where you will be supported by academic staff, senior students and alumni to help you transition into the Bond community
- Have the opportunity to gain industry experience while you study
- Learn in small class sizes. Our high student to teacher ratio and access to academics opens doors to industry placements, research projects, job opportunities and help whenever you need it
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours available within South-East Asia and Silicon Valley
- Gain immediate access to an array of state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer
- Have the opportunity to gain a Bloomberg certification during your degree and unlock your potential for more job opportunities in the global market
About the program
The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Show more
The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program develops students’ skills in the challenge of crunching 'big data' numbers to create practical solutions for real-world problems. Employment opportunities include working as an investment analyst, portfolio manager, actuarial consultant, insurance actuary, superannuation actuary, risk analyst, big data analyst, liability manager and high-level manager. Successful completion of the program can lead to Part I qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
On Campus and Remote
|Duration||6 semesters (2 years)|
|Program type||Bachelors Degree|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
Bachelor of Actuarial Science comprises 24 subjects, as follows:
University core subjects (3)
- CORE11-001 Critical Thinking and Communication
- CORE11-002 Collaboration, Teams and Leadership
- CORE11-003 Responsibility, Integrity and Civic Discourse
Required subjects (14)
- ACCT11-100 Accounting for Decision Making
- ACSC12-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC12-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC13-301 Contingencies
- ACSC13-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC13-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC13-307 Survival Analysis
- ECON11-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON12-200 Linear Models and Applied Econometrics
- ECON12-202 Contemporary Macroeconomics Issues
- FINC12-200 Fundamentals of Finance
- FINC13-301 Corporate Finance
- FINC13-303 Portfolio Analysis and Investment Management
- STAT11-112 Quantitative Methods
Students can choose 7 General Elective Subject (70CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
- Students are encouraged to undertake an optional major (60CP) or minor (40CP). This will replace six (6) or four (4) of your general electives.
A list of Majors and Minors is available here.
Please note: The Actuarial Science major or minor is not available for this program.
- Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires Program Director's approval.
The following opportunities are also available to Bond Business School students.
- BUSN13-730: Business School International Semester
Students will be undertaking study at approved overseas institutes offering an international internship experience program, facilitating both academic study courses and practical industry internship placement
- Bond International Exchange Program
Current Bond students have the opportunity to study at one of 80+ leading universities in our network of exclusive international partnerships, for one or two semesters.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans
Important note for first semester students
You will be registered in the Bond Business Mentoring Program designed for all new undergraduate students; please be advised the first scheduled gathering is in the Bond Business School orientation, If you require further information please email [email protected]
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee divided by the number of standard full-time semesters required to complete the program. Fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester.
Semester program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2021: $15,560* per semester average
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2021: $93,360
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than most other universities.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Applicants with recent secondary education (within the past two years)
Entry score for 2021 entry
|Min ATAR||Min OP||Min IB|
Visit our student profile if you are interested in the profile of all students who commenced undergraduate study at the Faculty in the January semester 2020.
Applicants must meet the University's general minimum admission criteria.
In addition, this program requires knowledge of advanced mathematics.
2021 Year 12 Entry
To ensure students are not disadvantaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, current Year 12 students can be assessed now for a guaranteed offer for 2021 entry conditional on the completion of Year 12. Applications will be assessed based on their first semester Year 12 results and meeting any subject prerequisite requirements for their program. Find out more.
International Secondary School students
For more information for International Students, including the International Baccalaureate, please go to the International Secondary School equivalency page.
Alternative entry pathways
For those applicants who do not currently have the required academic qualifications, there are a number of alternative entry pathways:
- Bond University Diploma programs
- Prior higher education experience (at this university or another)
- Professional or para-professional qualifications/experience
- Employment experience verified by a statement of service from the employer stating the position title and length of service and a very brief statement on the tasks undertaken.
For more information on what is required please visit our how to apply page.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
The growing demand for quantitative business skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing ‘big data’ they now have ready access to, particularly in applications of financial risk evaluation as well as other forms of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries.
The Bachelor of Actuarial Science will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Business Consulting
- Data Analytics and Predictive Algorithms
- E-Commerce and Digital Marketing
- Health Administration
- Quantitative Research and Infrastructure
- Risk Management
- Safety Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Statistical Inference
- Superannuation and Lifetime Asset Management
- Technology Innovation
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employable as a:
- Investment Valuation Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Hedge Fund Manager
- Actuarial Consultant
- Insurance Actuary
- Superannuation Actuary
- Regulatory Actuary
- Risk Assessment Analyst
- Data Science Analyst
- Liability Manager
- Business Efficiency Consultant
Undertaking the Bachelor of Actuarial Science (Honours) allows students with an Actuarial Science degree to further develop their technical skills and learn how they can be best used within a broader business and economic setting. In addition, it affords the opportunity to achieve Part 2 (Actuary Program) qualification status with the Actuaries Institute.
Bond is one of only seven universities in Australia, the only one in Queensland, to offer the fully accredited program by the Actuaries Institute and has recognition agreements with the Society of Actuaries (worldwide).
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia who are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
At Bond, we believe education goes beyond the classroom. Our unique Beyond Bond program will expand your horizons with internships, global volunteering programs, international competitions, industry conferences, study tours, community service and much, much more.
- Bachelor of Actuarial Science (3 Year Program)
- Bachelor of Actuarial Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Actuarial Science / Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Actuarial Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Communication (Business)
- Bachelor of Business Law
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurial Transformation