A career in actuarial science starts now
The upcoming semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they're on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond's exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
Combining elements of economics, finance, statistics and mathematics, the Bachelor of Actuarial Science develops techniques for the management of risk and big data analytics. Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, this program provides Part I (Foundation program) accreditation. Bond is one of only seven universities to offer the degree in Australia, the only one in Queensland, and one of two where you will be trained by specialists in their subject area. For example, if you have a Data Science subject you will be taught by a specialist Data Scientist. The Future of Work 2018 report by Deloitte Access Economics shows that the number of data science workers in Australia will increase by 2.4% annually and 76% of businesses are planning to increase investment in analytics capabilities over the next two years.
Developed by Executive Dean Terry O’Neill, one of Australia’s leading academic authorities in the field, the Bachelor of Actuarial Science at Bond delivers smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to state-of-the-art facilities.
Available majors are Big Data, Finance, Accounting and Economics.
2021 Year 12 entry
To ensure students are not disadvantaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, current Year 12 students can be assessed now for a guaranteed offer for 2021 entry conditional on the completion of Year 12. Applications will be assessed based on their first semester Year 12 results and meeting any subject prerequisite requirements for their program.
Year 12 Extension Program
Are you in Year 12 and want to get a head start when it comes to getting into university? Join our two day workshop to gain insight into university life and assist with the transition from high school to university. Find out more
A degree of the future: the field of Actuarial Science
What our students say
- Learn in smaller classes
- Unparalleled access to Bond Business School's two financial trading rooms and 40 Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals.
- Access to the business school’s formal mentor program where you will be supported by academic staff, senior students and alumni.
About the program
The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Show more
The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Bachelor of Actuarial Science is taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program develops students’ skills in the challenge of crunching 'big data' numbers to create practical solutions for real-world problems. Employment opportunities include working as an investment analyst, portfolio manager, actuarial consultant, insurance actuary, superannuation actuary, risk analyst, big data analyst, liability manager and high-level manager. Successful completion of the program can lead to Part I qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
On Campus and Remote
|Duration||6 semesters (2 years)|
|Program type||Bachelors Degree|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
Bachelor of Actuarial Science comprises 24 subjects, as follows:
University core subjects (3)
- CORE11-001 Critical Thinking and Communication
- CORE11-002 Collaboration, Teams and Leadership
- CORE11-003 Responsibility, Integrity and Civic Discourse
Required subjects (14)
- ACCT11-100 Accounting for Decision Making
- ACSC12-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC12-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC13-301 Contingencies
- ACSC13-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC13-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC13-307 Survival Analysis
- ECON11-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON12-200 Econometrics
- ECON12-202 Contemporary Macroeconomics Issues
- FINC12-200 Fundamentals of Finance
- FINC13-301 Corporate Finance
- FINC13-303 Portfolio Analysis and Investment Management
- STAT11-112 Quantitative Methods
Students can choose 7 General Elective Subject (70CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
- Students are encouraged to undertake an optional major (60CP) or minor (40CP). This will replace six (6) or four (4) of your general electives.
A list of Majors and Minors is available here.
Please note: The Actuarial Science major or minor is not available for this program.
- Actuarial Science students are recommended to take A Finance and/or Big Data major as part of their program. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires Program Director's approval.
The following opportunities are also available to Bond Business School students.
- BUSN13-730: Business School International Semester
Students will be undertaking study at approved overseas institutes offering an international internship experience program, facilitating both academic study courses and practical industry internship placement
- Bond International Exchange Program
Current Bond students have the opportunity to study at one of 80+ leading universities in our network of exclusive international partnerships, for one or two semesters.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans
Important note for first semester students
You will be registered in the Bond Business Mentoring Program designed for all new undergraduate students; please be advised the first scheduled gathering is in the Bond Business School orientation, If you require further information please email [email protected]
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee divided by the number of standard full-time semesters required to complete the program. Fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester.
Semester program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2021: $15,560* per semester average
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2021: $93,360
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than most other universities.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Applicants with recent secondary education (within the past two years)
Entry score for 2021 entry
|Min ATAR||Min OP||Min IB|
Visit our student profile if you are interested in the profile of all students who commenced undergraduate study at the Faculty in the January semester 2020.
Applicants must meet the University's general minimum admission criteria.
In addition, this program requires knowledge of advanced mathematics.
2021 Year 12 Entry
To ensure students are not disadvantaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, current Year 12 students can be assessed now for a guaranteed offer for 2021 entry conditional on the completion of Year 12. Applications will be assessed based on their first semester Year 12 results and meeting any subject prerequisite requirements for their program. Find out more.
International Secondary School students
For more information for International Students, including the International Baccalaureate, please go to the International Secondary School equivalency page.
Alternative entry pathways
For those applicants who do not currently have the required academic qualifications, there are a number of alternative entry pathways:
- Bond University Diploma programs
- Prior higher education experience (at this university or another)
- Professional or para-professional qualifications/experience
- Employment experience verified by a statement of service from the employer stating the position title and length of service and a very brief statement on the tasks undertaken.
For more information on what is required please visit our how to apply page.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
Accredited by the Actuaries Institute, this program serves as a pathway to the Bachelor of Actuarial Science (Honours), which provides all the university components of Part II (Actuary Program) Accreditation that means you could work as a highly sought after Actuaries Associate or Actuary in industries including Data Analytics, Marketing, Economics, Finance, Health, Insurance and more.
High graduate starting salaries and full employment rates reflect the growing demand for qualified analysts, with career opportunities predicted to increase substantially over the next five years.