|Faculty:||Faculty of Law|
Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure is an elective subject in undergraduate programs offered by the Faculty of Law. It is a survey subject intended to introduce students to substantive and procedural aspects of Canadian criminal law. It focuses on the distinctive provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada and their interpretation, and also on the role of the Canadian Charter Rights and Freedoms. The coverage of specific topics mirrors that in the compulsory subjects on Criminal Law and Procedure in Canadian law schools. There will be an introduction to criminal procedure followed by more in-depth analysis of issues in substantive criminal law.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fundamental principles and rules of Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of how these principles and rules have been derived from the provisions of the Code and the Charter and shaped by judicial decisions.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply legal principles and rules derived from the case law and statutes to new fact situations and to argue for and against possible outcomes.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Students must be admitted into a Bachelor law degree or Bachelor of Laws combined degree or be an approved Law Study Abroad OR Law exchange student.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
- January 2023 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- September 2022 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- January 2022 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- September 2021 [Standard - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- January 2021 [Standard - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- September 2020 [Standard - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- January 2020 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- September 2019 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- January 2019 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- September 2018 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- January 2018 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
- September 2017 [Intensive - Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure]
Non-Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 21/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 23/09/2022 Last enrolment: 19/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 29/09/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 09/10/2022 Teaching census: 28/09/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||29/09/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||09/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|