Wine is a major agricultural export for Australia and an important industry for the country’s economy. At an industry level, students will be introduced to the history and evolution of this exciting industry and the laws, policies and agreements that affect its production and distribution worldwide. At the product level, students will study the winemaking process and learn to distinguish among different types of viticultural sites to identify those best suited to premium wine production. The contribution that wine inventories make to hotel and restaurant profitability is also considered. A major component of this subject is a professional wine tasting program, which provides hands-on experience in evaluating a broad range of grape varieties and explores the relationship between wines with food.
|Bond Business School|
- September 2018 [Standard Offering]
- January 2019 [Standard Offering]
- May 2019 [Standard Offering]
- September 2019 [Standard Offering]
- January 2020 [Standard Offering]
- May 2020 [Standard Offering]
- Commencing in 2018: $4,247
- Commencing in 2019: $4,290
1. Describe the history and evolution of the Australian wine industry and key events, technological and scientific innovations that have contibuted to the growth of Australian wine sales in both the domestic and international markets.
2. Describe the important laws regarding wine (i.e., in relation to the production, sales and distribution of Australian wine in both domestic and international markets) and the organisations responsible for implementing and monitoring those laws.
3. Evaluate why some viticulture sites are better suited for the production of various varietals of wine than others.
4. Describe the inputs and processes for making the various styles of wine: white, red, sparkling and fortified.
5. Identify key issues in the contribution of wine inventories to the financial performance of various venue types including the correct procedures for the storage and handling of wines.
6. Critically assess wines by sensory evaluation and describe, using the correct descriptive terminology, the defining attributes of the various grape varieties being assessed and any faults detected.
7. Identify key issues with regard to wine consumption and health, as well as the responsible service of alcoholic beverages.
| Requisites: ? |
| Restrictions: ? |