|Faculty:||Bond Business School|
This subject introduces the analytical approaches used by managers when making financial decisions.. The theory and application of fundamental concepts of time value of money, the relationship between risk and return (i.e., CAPM), portfolio theory of investment (i.e., diversification), and capital structure are examined in detail. Students will apply these concepts and assorted financial tools to value stocks and bonds, estimate the cost of capital and implement the discounted cashflow technique to make capital budgeting decisions. Students will also gain exposure to real-time market data via the Bloomberg database.
- Explain the key issues faced by corporate financial managers and the analytical approaches required to resolve these issues to maximise firm value.
- Apply time value of money concepts using formulae and financial calculators to value bonds and common stocks.
- Explain the risk/return trade-off using examples from Portfolio Theory, the Capital Asset Pricing Model and the relationship between a firm and the capital markets.
- Demonstrate competence in the use of a Bloomberg terminal to interpret market data, economic indicators and other financial research.
- Apply concepts of cash flow analysis, evaluation techniques and the cost of capital to make a sound capital budgeting decision.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 20/03/2022 Semester start: 16/05/2022 Subject start: 16/05/2022 Cancellation 1: 30/05/2022 Cancellation 2: 06/06/2022 Last enrolment: 29/05/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 11/06/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 02/07/2022 Teaching census: 10/06/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 19/03/2023 Semester start: 15/05/2023 Subject start: 15/05/2023 Cancellation 1: 29/05/2023 Cancellation 2: 05/06/2023 Last enrolment: 28/05/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 10/06/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 01/07/2023 Teaching census: 09/06/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/06/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||02/07/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|
|Withdraw - Financial:||10/06/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||01/07/2023|