|Faculty:||Faculty of Society and Design|
This subject provides you with theories and approaches to critically assess the relationship between mass and popular media and society. You will study and research how media represents our world, shapes our experiences, and exercises power in society. The subject gives special attention to how news is selected, produced, and disseminated. To develop your personal and professional understanding of mass and popular media, the subject considers many different examples and offers many opportunities to lead discussions with classmates. You will also produce a video essay based upon an interview and research.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role that media plays in society.
- Apply theory to critically assess mass and popular media representations of society.
- Construct clear, evidence-based arguments.
- Produce a video essay on a current media issue.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
- January 2023 [Standard - Mass and Popular Media]
- September 2022 [Standard - Mass and Popular Media]
- January 2022 [Standard - Mass and Popular Media]
- September 2021 [Standard - Mass and Popular Media]
- January 2021 [Standard - Mass and Popular Media]
- September 2020 [Standard - Mass & Popular Media]
- January 2020 [Standard - Mass & Popular Media]
- September 2019 [Standard - Mass Media]
- January 2019 [Standard - Mass Media]
- September 2018 [Standard - Mass Media]
- January 2018 [Standard - Mass Media]
- September 2017 [Standard - Mass Media]
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|