Using a specific global city as a testing ground, this subject will engage a complex urban project utilising creative and speculative design solutions to confront a pressing global issue. Studio work will involve exposure to an international urban context through either one or a combination of an international study tour, collaboration with an international partner university, or cloud-based overseas collaboration to provide the opportunity to develop appreciation and experience operating as an architect in new global context, emerging issues, and to perform a rigorous analysis of the city and its critical role in contemporary life. Students will do a combination of group and individual creative design work led in a studio-based educational context.
Output is focused on collaborative methods of craftsmanship in both 2D and 3D outcomes including the physical construction of large-scale models utilising the Architecture Fabrication and Research Workshop.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Ability to experiment, test and trial various conceptual ideas using a variety of media and methods.
2. Ability to critically analyse, research and develop understanding of a specific global city.
3. Apply creative and speculative design thinking to a specific complex global issue.
4. Develop verbal presentation skills and comprehensive 2D and 3D techniques.
5. Ability to work collaboratively and contribute constructively to a team environment.
6. Integration of and understanding of basic structural principles.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Assumes knowledge and design ability equivalent to that acquired through 1st year design studios (Creative Design Studios in Jan/May/Sept)
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
|Withdraw – Financial?||12/06/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||03/07/2021|