Biological and Physical Chemistry is designed to further students' knowledge in higher level Chemistry principles required for undertaking subjects in Biochemistry and Medical Chemistry. Building on the content covered in "Chemistry for Living Systems", the curriculum covers important aspects of physical chemistry such as thermodynamics, light and the gas laws; electrochemistry; molecular orbital theory and reaction kinetics. It has a substantial organic chemistry component as well as further developing students' practical competencies.
|Faculty||Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine|
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of more advanced chemical laws, concepts, principles and processes, including molecular orbital theory, transition metal chemistry, absorption spectroscopy, chemical kinetics, electrochemistry and aspects of physical chemistry including thermodynamics, thermochemistry and spontaneity and the gas laws
2. Apply this knowledge and understanding to problems requiring qualitative explanation or solution
3. Solve relevant chemical/mathematical problems
4. Locate information relating to various chemical topics and interpret appropriate data
5. Demonstrate a sound understanding of organic chemistry including organic reaction mechanisms and provide examples of basic syntheses
6. Demonstrate competence in more advanced laboratory techniques including chromatography, basic organic synthesis, monitoring weak acid/strong base titrations, electrochemistry and UV/VIS, IR spectroscopy etc.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
|Withdraw – Financial?||10/10/2020|
|Withdraw – Academic?||31/10/2020|
|Withdraw – Financial?||09/10/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||30/10/2021|