Topics covered include causes of fire, the spread of fire, fire and smoke development, the behaviour materials in fires, the effects of fire on structural integrity; fire testing, compartmentalisation, fire separation; statutory requirements for horizontal and vertical fire exits, fire resistance ratings and the maintenance of resistance by means of fire stopping materials, fire protection systems.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Identify and apply key fire safety clauses from the National Construction Code;
2. Describe how 'deemed to satisfy' and 'performance-based' solutions to meet the NCC are developed and compare outcomes from both approaches;
3. Associate the role of a fire engineer with their impact on the fire engineering process;
4. Describe fire science fundamentals and fire dynamics and link these to design techniques and methodologies commonly used in the fire engineering discipline;
5. Analyse and predict human behaviour during a fire event and their interaction with fire safety systems;
6. Evaluate the impact fire testing has on the built environment, and
7. Explain the constraints and limitations of fire engineering.
|Withdraw – Financial?||21/02/2020|
|Withdraw – Academic?||08/03/2020|
|Withdraw – Financial?||10/10/2020|
|Withdraw – Academic?||31/10/2020|