This subject introduces students to the scientific methods of psychological research. It includes an overview of research design and techniques for analysing data. Students learn how to evaluate the strengths and limitations of various research designs and how to critically scrutinise results published in psychological journals.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Understand, apply and evaluate basic research methods in psychology, including research design, data analysis and interpretation;
2. Comprehend and apply a broad and coherent body of knowledge of Psychology, with depth of understanding of underlying principles, theories and concepts in the discipline, using a scientific approach.
3. Apply knowledge and skills of Psychology in a manner that is reflexive, culturally appropriate and sensitive to the diversity of individuals.
4. Analyse and critique theory and research in the discipline of Psychology and communicate these in written oral format.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate values and ethics in Psychology.
6. Demonstrate self-directed pursuit of scholarly inquiry in Psychology.
7. Cultural responsiveness, including with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.
There are no co-requisites.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
All Psychology programs are accredited in the sequence presented and designed to provide students with learning and graduate outcomes in line with APAC accreditation standards. In order to meet these outcomes, students in the Undergraduate program should complete PSYC11, then PSYC12, and finally PSYC13 subjects in the order sequenced.
Future offerings not yet planned.