|Faculty:||Faculty of Law|
Australian Government and Politics is an undergraduate elective subject offered by the Faculty of Law. This subject is a practical examination of the legal and constitutional framework within which Australia is governed, and offers an overview of the operation of the Legislatures, Executive Governments and Judiciaries of the Commonwealth, State and local governments. It examines the political foundations upon which Australian politics and government are conducted, including the role, organisation and operation of the media, political parties, candidates, Ministers and governments.
- Identify the Australian political system and its history and development; the doctrine of Separation of Powers and Responsible Government; the relationship between Australia's political environment and its impact within the international arena.
- Critically analyse and apply the doctrines studied to the current political setting.
- Identify the Australian political history, parties and institutions and the practical workings of government and the interaction between the three arms of government.
- Build upon existing communication skills (both written and oral).
- Develop and present arguments both orally and in writing in relation to law and practice in the area of federal, state and local government politics.
- Critically analyse current political laws, policies and practice in order to place knowledge in a local and global context.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
- September 2022 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- September 2021 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- January 2021 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- September 2020 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- January 2020 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- September 2019 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- January 2019 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- May 2018 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- January 2018 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
- May 2017 [Standard - Australian Government and Politics]
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|