In this highly practical, workshop-based subject, students explore the technical aspects of ultra-high-definition digital cinema camera systems and how to creatively apply these to the process of shooting professional motion pictures. Students undertake various assignments that develop and integrate the principles, elements and skills essential for creatively producing cinematic images. Students also learn the technical and artistic essentials of colour grading using a full-sized DaVinci Resolve colour grading suite. At the completion of this subject it is expected that students will possess the skills and knowledge to be considered for an entry-level position in the camera department on a professional film set.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Describe and define the individual and team responsibilities of the Director of Photography, Camera Operator, 1st and 2nd Assistant Camera on a professional film set.
2. Critically analyse and evaluate the artistic elements of light as used in motion picture storytelling.
3. Critically analyse and evaluate a range of cinematic lenses and filters and differentiate their use in a variety of creative situations.
4. Demonstrate the skills necessary to operate ultra-high-definition digital camera systems and accessories in an effective, safe and artistic manner.
5. Demonstrate the skills necessary to effectively use camera and lighting techniques to tell a story pictorially.
6. Demonstrate the skills necessary to creatively and effectively use a Da Vinci colour grading suite to colour grade filmed footage.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Future offerings not yet planned.