This subject introduces valuation techniques that are widely used in the accounting and finance sector to value firms. We use a fundamental analysis approach to understand and analyse the current state of a firm, drawing heavily upon financial statement analysis to assess its performance, identify major accounting policies that may impact the quality of the reported figures, and assess the underlying risk. The insights from this process are used to forecast the future performance of the firm and estimate its cost of capital. Finally, we use both intrinsic and relative valuation techniques in assessing the value of the firm. Throughout this subject, students will use Excel to build a financial model to value a takeover target.
This accounting capstone subject draws heavily on knowledge you have acquired during your degree, and integrates it through real-world application in the valuation context. While this is an accounting subject, it is also of interest to those contemplating careers in investment banking, equity research, funds management, corporate finance, and business consulting.
|Faculty||Bond Business School|
|Study abroad||Available to Study Abroad students|
1. Research and synthesise financial and business information from published financial reports and international databases.
2. Use excel in demonstrating the application and integration of advanced financial analysis and valuation techniques, and critically analyse their benefits and limitations.
3. Work in a group to complete a written valuation report for a takeover target and undertake an oral presentation of their findings.
4. Exercise expert judgement to provide possible solutions to accounting problems in valuation contexts using where appropriate ethical, entrepreneurial and/or global perspectives.
5. Seek and reflect on performance feedback and identify learning opportunities for self-improvement.
ACCT71-303 - Accounting Theory and Application
FINC71-600 - Managerial Finance OR Admission into BN-13005 - Master of Finance OR BN-13115 - Master of Finance (Professional)