Darryn is an experienced musculoskeletal physiotherapist, researcher, educator and health service manager. With a background in elite tennis while growing up in Melbourne, followed by a stint playing college tennis in the USA, Darryn returned home to Australia and studied physiotherapy alongside tennis coaching.
Darryn’s early career focused on sport but expanded into general musculoskeletal and then advanced and extended scope physiotherapy. Whilst in the UK Darryn became one of the first physiotherapists qualified to prescribe medicines, inject and one of the first NHS Consultant Physiotherapists. Darryn has led multidisciplinary teams including doctors, physiotherapists, dietitians, psychologists and pharmacists in Orthopaedic / Neurosurgery / Rheumatology screening services in the UK and here on the Gold Coast, Australia.
As a manager Darryn has designed and led innovative extended and advanced practice services, established and run a private practice, led national projects in medicines and prescribing at the English Department of Health, served on Physiotherapy Scope of Practice and Prescribing Committees in Australia and the UK and worked at senior management levels in public health services in the UK and Australia.
Darryn’s research interests include musculoskeletal disorders and health economics, with involvement in clinical (particularly shoulder and spine), economic and health service research. Darryn joined the team at Bond in January 2020, continues clinical work privately and maintains links with Queensland Health through research.
- Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia
- Australian Healthcare Practitioner Regulation Agency
- The Health and Care Professions Council (UK) – Prescribing Annotation
- Visiting Research Fellow – Gold Coast University Hospital 2020-
Darryn has been involved in musculoskeletal teaching to physiotherapy and medical students in a variety pre and post registration, in clinical and university settings for the majority of his career. Darryn’s expertise is in clinical musculoskeletal teaching and extended scope practice. Darryn also has experience in teaching health economics in business / management settings.
- Doctor of Philosophy (2019), Griffith University
- Master of Business Administration (2013), Griffith University
- Non-Medical Prescribing UK (2007), Sheffield Hallam University
- Master of Musculoskeletal (Manip) Physiotherapy (2000), La Trobe University
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) (1994), The University of Melbourne
- Club Professional (Level 2 Coach) (1993), Tennis Coaching Australia