COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.


If you or someone else is in immediate danger call 000 for Police.
If you or someone else needs immediate medical attention call 000 for Ambulance.

We take our responsibility to protect students and staff from sexual assault, interpersonal and sexual harassment and violence very seriously.

All our professional and personal relationships should be respectful and built on trust, good communication and mutual respect. Within a culture of respectful relationships, there is no place for sexual assault, sexual harassment or violence of any kind.

Safe & Respectful Communities Support Services 

Bond has developed a network of on-campus and off-campus support services that you can access for advice, guidance and resources.


Supporting someone who has been sexually assaulted

If someone discloses a sexual assault or an instance of sexual harassment to you it means they have identified you as someone they feel safe with. Here are some useful tips on supporting the person disclosing as well as the person responding. 


Supporting our communities

Bond University strives to provide a safe, supportive and caring environment. Our commitments include: 

  1. At Bond we believe that all students have a right to feel safe and secure at all times. We believe that students should be able to fully participate in all aspects of life on campus. 
  2. We have an obligation to provide a safe environment for all students and staff. 
  3. We believe that sexual assault and sexual harassment can prevent a student from taking part in activities and involvement in the life of the University. 
  4. We will support students who report sexual harassment or sexual assault including facilitating access to relevant counselling, medical, police or legal services. 
  5. We will do everything we can to ensure the safety of any student who reports sexual harassment or sexual assault. 

Sexual assault and sexual harassment are crimes in all jurisdictions in Australia. 

Sexual assault is any unwanted sexual behaviour that you have not consented to. It can take many forms ranging from: 

  • unwanted touching  
  • exposure to sexual acts  
  • sexual images taken without consent 
  • any form of sexual penetration. 

Sexual harassment is any unwanted or unwelcome sexual behaviour which makes a person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated. 

Consent is when two or more people explicitly agree to participate in a sexual act including intercourse, kissing and touching. Consent to sexual acts is freely given. 

You are unable to consent if you are: 

  • asleep, unconscious or significantly affected by drugs or alcohol 
  • unable to understand what you are consenting to 
  • pressured or coerced to have sex because of threats, force, fear, or harm to yourself or someone else 
  • under the age of consent which is 16 years in QLD. 

Consent can also be withdrawn after a sexual activity has begun. 

Domestic and family violence happens when one person in a relationship hurts another or makes them feel unsafe.  

It is particularly important to be aware of this type of abuse given the current COVID-19 isolation requirements implemented in Australia and around the world.  

Difference between disclosure and reporting

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted or sexually harassed, you can choose to disclose what has happened or report it. The difference between disclosure and reporting is discussed below.

Disclosure means telling someone about what has happened so together you can make sure you've got the care and support you need to understand and cope with what has happened.

A disclosure is made to someone you trust; this might be a friend, family member, residence staff member, teacher or tutor. When you disclose, you just tell the details that you feel comfortable telling. It is important to know that a disclosure won't result in holding a perpetrator to account, but you can seek other outcomes like arranging your timetable to avoid seeing someone.

Reporting means making an official complaint in a documented process. Reporting to Bond University means that the University will review the allegation and decide whether to proceed with an enquiry.

Reporting to police means giving as much information as possible to begin a police investigation. You can meet with the police to talk about the reporting process before you decide whether you want to make an official report. There is no time limit on reporting: you can make a report no matter how long ago the incident took place.

The Student Success & Wellbeing (SSW) team can help you to understand the available disclosure and reporting options, and provide support throughout the reporting process if desired. Contact the SSW team at [email protected]


You can report an incidence of sexual misconduct using the Sexual Assault Sexual Harassment (SASH) form.

When reporting an incidence using this form, you can include as much or as little information as you like. The important thing is that you can receive information about where to go for help. More information is provided below.

You can report an incidence of sexual misconduct using the Sexual Assault Sexual Harassment (SASH) form.

When reporting an incidence using this form, you can include as much or as little information as you like. The important thing is that you can receive information about where to go for help.

Reporting an incidence of sexual assault or sexual harassment at Bond University is not the same as disclosing. By reporting an incidence you will be given accurate information about where to go for help care and support.

Bond University will deal with any information you provide in accordance with the University's Privacy Policy. Bond University will not share any information you provide with anyone else without your permission, unless your safety or the safety of others is at risk, you are under the age of 18, or you provide enough information about a Bond University staff member who is believed to be responsible for sexual misconduct that they can be identified.

You don't have to report an incidence using this form. You can choose to disclose to someone else that you trust and feel comfortable with. You can also make a report as well as disclosing.

You can provide as much or as little information in the form as you want. You can create a disposable email address exclusively for this purpose by following the instructions offered by Google.

The form will ask you some basic questions about yourself, about the person who experienced the sexual assault or sexual harassment (if that wasn't you), about the incident, and provide a space for you to choose to provide any additional information if you want. Remember, you only need to answer the questions with which you feel comfortable, and you only need to provide as much detail as you feel comfortable doing.

When you make a complaint to Bond University, the University will firstly consider whether any precautionary action needs to be taken. Precautionary action could include separating you from the accused person. Bond University will ensure that support and assistance is provided to you and the accused person. The support measures for each student will be provided separately, meaning the students should not be provided with the same counsellor.

There is no time limit on making a complaint to Bond University, but it's important to know that if you make a formal complaint to Bond University, there may be limitations on the action the University can take if evidence has been lost or destroyed with the passage of time, or if one or both parties have left the University.

What to do if you have just been sexually assaulted?  Queensland Police have an easy-to-follow guide on what steps you can take after an assault has occurred. View the guide here.

You can report a sexual assault by calling Triple Zero (000) if the incident is happening now, the suspect is still at the scene or if anyone is seriously injured or in immediate danger.

Alternatively you can call Policelink on 131 444 or fill out a sexual assault online reporting form.

The police have substantially more resources and powers than Bond University to investigate sexual misconduct, particularly serious cases. The police can investigate historical allegations and, if asked, the University will cooperate with the police by providing any records and other information to support a police investigation.


Before disclosing sexual misconduct, it's important to understand the options available to you. More information is available below.

Before disclosing sexual misconduct, it's important to understand the options available to you.

You can contact Bond University counselling services, one of our First Responder team, or an external support service to help you understand your options.

Once you have the information you need to make a decision about what you want to do, Bond University will act in accordance with your wishes, other than in exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances could include where the University deems a report to the police is necessary to protect you (or others) from harm, or to stop a further crime taking place.

It's up to you to decide whether to lodge a formal complaint. There is no time limit on making a complaint.

Whatever you decide to do, Bond University will help you access relevant counselling, medical or legal services, including referral to the Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence (GCCASV). GCCASV provides crisis support, counselling, practical support through related legal and medical procedures, and therapeutic and educational groups to victims and survivors of recent and/or past sexual violence.