ACFB co-directors, Professor Ken Moores and Associate Professor Justin Craig have developed a program for family business directors concentrating on the unique challenges faced by families in business.
The program “Walking the fine line – how to be an effective director AND a responsible family member” was developed for Family Business Australia and is the only directors course in Australia specifically designed for families in business. The course deals with the framework for business and family governance, focusing on the benefits of adopting a holistic approach to governance in your family business.
The two-day program focuses firstly on business governance, in particular an introduction to corporate governance and the structures and processes of business governance including:
- Should you introduce a board?
- The structure of the board
- Who should sit on the board?
- The role of the board & its relationship with the business
- Director’s duties & responsibilities
- The legal environment
- Board processes
- Guidelines for successful operation
The second-day focus shifts to family governance and includes:
- Structures including family councils, constitutions, retreats and assemblies
- Role of these structures and their members
- Using structures to maintain & enhance shared vision and mission of the family business
- Improving family communication
- Guidelines for succession.
The course concludes with examples of how to achieve integration of both forms of governance to build competitive business advantage and family harmony.
Ken and Justin will be presenting this course showcased by Family Business Australia at three locations: