About the scholarship
- Currently completing high school, Completed high school and applying for undergraduate studies, Postgraduate
- Actuarial Science, Architecture and Built Environment, Business and Commerce, Communication and Creative Media, Health Sciences, Hotel and Tourism, International Relations and Humanities, Law, Social Sciences, Psychology and Counselling, Sport
Applications for January 2021 are now open online and close Sunday, 6 September, 2020.
The Georgina Hope Rinehart Swimming Excellence Scholarship is among the most prestigious scholarships available in Australia, targeted to provide an opportunity for a series of high performance swimming scholars to compete at an elite level, while gaining an outstanding education. The Bond Swimming Club currently provides access to some of the best swimming coaches in Australia, some of whom are based on the Gold Coast.
The scholarship is open to male and female elite swimming athletes who are eligible to compete for Australia; are swimming at a very high level for a school or club; have a high quality academic record; and who possess leadership qualities.
Recipients of this scholarship will be provided with a unique mentoring experience through Bond Swimming Ambassadors, including Bond University Olympic and Commonwealth Games Gold Medallists. Bond Swimming Ambassadors will provide both sport and career mentoring, to assist in the development of the students’ sporting performance and preparation for life beyond sport.
The Georgina Hope Rinehart Swimming Excellence Scholarships will be awarded to Australian students commencing their study at Bond University in the following year, January semester.
- Available to all Australian students applying for a single undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree or diploma at Bond University (excluding the Bond Medical Program, Doctor of Physiotherapy, Master of Psychology (Clinical) and Master of Professional Psychology).
- Australian students eligible to represent Australian Swimming.
- Meet the Academic requirements for selected program.
- Currently swimming at a very elite level.
- Strong leadership skills and community involvement.
- Recipients will be chosen in conjunction with Swimming Australia.
100% tuition scholarship awarded to the student for any single diploma program, single undergraduate degree, single postgraduate degree at Bond University (excluding the Bond Medical Program, Doctor of Physiotherapy, Master of Psychology (Clinical) and Master of Professional Psychology). For a Bachelor of Laws this scholarship applies for a maximum of 6 semesters.
Living allowance of $21,000 cash bursary given to the student each year as a cash payment, for up to three years. The cash bursary will be awarded as a cash payment and made directly to the scholar’s Bond student account. Pro-Rata basis if enrolled part-time (below 3 subjects).
The cash bursary may be used as the student wishes, however, it is recommended that it is spent on accommodation, food, sporting equipment, participation in sporting events and training, student activity fees and textbooks. The bursary does not guarantee to cover all living expenses that the student will incur during their time at Bond University.
We encourage students to apply for as many scholarships as they are eligible for. Students will only be considered for the scholarships they have applied for.
Students must complete and submit their scholarship application prior to the application closing date. No late scholarship applications will be considered. If you are applying for more then one scholarship with different application closing dates, it is important to submit your scholarship application form by the earliest scholarship closing date.
Scholarship applicants will be required to submit the following documents as part of their scholarship application:
- A detailed sporting resume, summary of achievements, and at least two relevant references from individuals who can support sporting achievements; and,
- A personal statement outlining why you have applied for the scholarship and what makes you a good candidate for this scholarship.
The scholar is required to represent Bond at the Australian University Games where appropriate.
The scholar is required to attend Bond University’s annual sporting Blues Awards.
The scholar is required to update the University with their sporting achievements and allow Bond University to promote these achievements.
The scholar is required to attend various Bond Swimming Club and related events and to promote their association with Bond University at Swimming Australia and related events.
Swimming Australia Requirements: Continuation of the scholarship will also depend upon the scholar competing at the Australian Championships each year in Olympic events. If a Swimming Australia funded athlete plans to relocate coaches or programs, they must seek approval from the Swimming Australia Director of High Performance.
The scholar is required to attend all training sessions where reasonable and train at a high level.
The scholar must apply to become a member of Bond’s Elite Sports Program (BESP) and meet with the BESP Manager during each semester of study.