This subject provides an introduction to the rationale, principles, and processes of urban planning in Australia. It reviews strategic and statutory planning processes with particular focus on the key legislation, plan making and development assessment in Queensland and its relevance to other jurisdictions interstate and internationally. Students will gain a basic understanding of planning schemes and development applications to assist them in their chosen profession/s. The subject introduces community engagement, place making and urban governance as important elements of planning process.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
|Study abroad||Available to Study Abroad students|
1. Understand the rationale, principles and processes of city planning;
2. Gain insights into the strategic and statutory planning processes for cities and regions;
3. Understand Queensland's planning system and planning legislation;
4. Gain knowledge of planning schemes and development assessment;
5. Understand community engagement, place making and urban management as important elements of planning process.
No prior knowledge required.