Under the guidance of an Externship supervisor, students complete the first of two Externships in a community setting. Throughout this semester, students are required to complete a minimum of 320 hours in the placement. These hours comprise a minimum of 140 client contact hours (face to face only), 24 supervision hours, and client-related activities. Students on Externship will also complete a comprehensive Clinical Folio and competency assessments.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Apply evidence-based and scientific methods to professional practice across the lifespan in empirically valid and culturally responsive ways.
2. Employ professional communication skills, in a culturally responsive manner
3. Perform appropriate standardised psychological testing, as part of broader assessment, to assess and interpret aspects of functioning.
4. Identify psychological disorders using a recognised taxonomy.
5. Utilise assessments and synthesise information from multiple sources, including assessment and management of risk.
6. Understand how to monitor outcomes and modifications based on evolving case formulation.
7. Interpret and communicate findings in oral and written formats, including formal psychological reports, using culturally appropriate language.
8. Knowledge of supported interventions, and monitor clients’ progress and intervention outcomes.
9. Demonstrate respect for the skills and contribution of other professionals.
10. Capacity to work effectively with a range of professional and support staff in the workplace and communicate and collaborate effectively, within the bounds of ethical and legal requirements.
11. Operate within the boundaries of their professional competence.
12. Rigorously apply professional practice policies and procedures.
13. Engage in self-reflective professional practice, taking account of the impact of their own values and beliefs, and taking appropriate actions as a result.
14. Evaluate the effectiveness of their professional practice, identifying areas for improvement and implementing changes where needed.
15. Critically evaluate contemporary scientific literature to inform practice.
16. Demonstrate an understanding and application of cultural responsiveness, including with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.
17. Demonstrate an understanding and application of the principles of inter-professional learning and practice.
18. Knowledge of current theories, systems, regulatory and statutory authorities.
19. Apply advanced psychological knowledge for clinical psychology formulation, diagnosis, and psychopharmacology.
20. Apply advanced psychological knowledge in formulation, and culturally responsive assessment in the area of clinical psychology.
21. Apply advanced psychological knowledge to culturally responsive interventions in the area of clinical psychology.
There are no co-requisites.
Students must have completed all pre-requisites in sequence before enrolling into this subject. Students are required to complete the number of placement hours in full prior to enrolling in Externship II. This subject is offered in the Master of Psychology (Clinical) only.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
|Withdraw – Financial?||13/02/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||06/03/2021|
|Withdraw – Financial?||09/10/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||30/10/2021|