|Faculty:||Faculty of Law|
Evidence is a compulsory subject in the Bachelor of Laws program offered by the Faculty of Law. The subject examines the law and practice relating to evidence in civil and criminal proceedings, focusing on substantive admissibility and procedural rules. Topics covered include basic principles and categories of evidence, competence, compellability and examination of witnesses, privilege, the hearsay rule and its exceptions, admissions and confessions, and illegally obtained evidence. Emphasis is placed on the demonstration of the following skills: legal research and reasoning, and oral communication and advocacy.
- Demonstrate understanding of the principles which govern the admission of evidence in both criminal and civil proceedings.
- Demonstrate competency in exercising an advanced level of skill, with creativity, initiative and autonomy in legal research and reasoning, and oral communication and advocacy.
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, including a commitment to learning and working independently and reflectively; behaving ethically and responsibly; and managing time effectively and meeting deadlines.
Assumed knowledge is the minimum level of knowledge of a subject area that students are assumed to have acquired through previous study. It is the responsibility of students to ensure they meet the assumed knowledge expectations of the subject. Students who do not possess this prior knowledge are strongly recommended against enrolling and do so at their own risk. No concessions will be made for students’ lack of prior knowledge.
Assumed Prior Learning (or equivalent):
Must be admitted into a Bachelor law degree OR Bachelor of Laws combined degree OR be an approved Law Study Abroad OR Law Exchange student.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
- May 2023 [Standard - Evidence]
- January 2023 [Standard - Evidence]
- September 2022 [Standard - Evidence]
- May 2022 [Standard - Evidence]
- January 2022 [Standard - Evidence]
- September 2021 [Standard - Evidence]
- May 2021 [Standard - Evidence]
- January 2021 [Standard - Evidence]
- September 2020 [Standard - Evidence]
- May 2020 [Standard - Evidence]
- January 2020 [Standard - Evidence]
- September 2019 [Standard - Evidence]
- May 2019 [Standard - Evidence]
- January 2019 [Standard - Evidence]
- September 2018 [Standard - Evidence]
- May 2018 [Standard - Evidence]
- January 2018 [Standard - Evidence]
- September 2017 [Standard - Evidence]
- May 2017 [Standard - Evidence]
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 17/07/2022 Semester start: 12/09/2022 Subject start: 12/09/2022 Cancellation 1: 26/09/2022 Cancellation 2: 03/10/2022 Last enrolment: 25/09/2022 Withdraw - Financial: 08/10/2022 Withdraw - Academic: 29/10/2022 Teaching census: 07/10/2022
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 13/11/2022 Semester start: 16/01/2023 Subject start: 16/01/2023 Cancellation 1: 30/01/2023 Cancellation 2: 06/02/2023 Last enrolment: 29/01/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 11/02/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 04/03/2023 Teaching census: 10/02/2023
Standard Offering Enrolment opens: 19/03/2023 Semester start: 15/05/2023 Subject start: 15/05/2023 Cancellation 1: 29/05/2023 Cancellation 2: 05/06/2023 Last enrolment: 28/05/2023 Withdraw - Financial: 10/06/2023 Withdraw - Academic: 01/07/2023 Teaching census: 09/06/2023
|Withdraw - Financial:||08/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Academic:||29/10/2022|
|Withdraw - Financial:||11/02/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||04/03/2023|
|Withdraw - Financial:||10/06/2023|
|Withdraw - Academic:||01/07/2023|