Investigative journalism effects change by exposing injustice, holding power to account and presenting solutions to challenging social issues. This subject embraces the journalism research opportunities offered by the digital age and empowers students to apply them to rigorous, compelling reporting on public-interest matters and contemporary social issues. Students will explore a range of investigative methods, including: advanced interviewing, social media reporting, using public records, freedom of information requests, data journalism, rounds reporting, verification and crowdsourcing. The subject will also teach students: investigative traditions, contexts and funding models; how to navigate complex ethical and legal issues; and how to create cross-platform stories and present information in both narrative and visual ways. The project-based assessment invites students to work collaboratively and individually on a public-interest investigation with strong solutions journalism elements and an emphasis on empowering communities, governments and organisations to generate meaningful change through the reporting process.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Evaluate a range of traditional and digital investigative methods and apply them to the development of a public-interest investigation.
2. Develop a sustained research strategy and adapt to challenges to create a major individual or collaborative investigative report.
3. Consider ethical and legal issues from a variety of perspectives and develop frameworks for best-practice reporting.
4. Understand the theory, traditions and complex role of investigative journalism in the context of a fast-changing industry landscape, new funding models and new practice models, including solutions journalism.
5. Generate a cross-platform investigate report in line with industry expectations.
6. Harness a range of emerging and established digital tools to research, curate and present compelling and rigorous public-interest narratives.
|Withdraw – Financial?||13/02/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||06/03/2021|