This subject explores the field of global political economy and focuses on global development as the main topic of analysis. Students will gain an advanced knowledge of global political economy theory by studying the elemental three - mercantilism, liberalism and Marxism - and the more contemporary work of global political economy scholars who have both reinvigorated and challenged these with new ideas and critiques. The second part of the subject applies the field of global political economy to the pressing question of global development. How can the bulk of humanity be lifted beyond mere existence? Which structures of the global political economy are critical to global development and which of these is supporting or undermining efforts? Passing students will have an advanced theoretical, historical and practical understanding of global development and be able to employ global political economy in the pursuit of global development.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Demonstrate an advanced theoretical, historical and practical understanding of global and sustainable development and be able to employ Global Political Economy in the pursuit of global and sustainable development.
2. Demonstrate ability to present a research seminar and to work within a research team.
3. Demonstrate the prospective capacity to lead a research team.
4. Research, develop and submit a written assignment.
5. Display teamwork skills and acquired knowledge of equity and diversity and an understanding of how they enhance organizational capacity.
|Withdraw – Financial?||13/02/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||06/03/2021|