Studying General English at Bond University
General English programs commence every 10 weeks throughout the year. Students that are unable to commence at the beginning of a 10-week cycle may commence halfway through at the 6-week point.
General English is a communicative program that helps students achieve their English language proficiency goals in everyday communication.
Students share their General English experience
About the program
The General English program is a communicative course that helps students achieve their English Language proficiency goals in everyday communication.
|Starting semesters||See Structure and Subjects section.|
|Program type||Bond University College Program|
|Study area||English Language Program|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
Classes are available at six levels graded from Beginner to Advanced, with each level lasting 10 weeks.
- A wide range of contemporary topics and video materials are used, helping students discover English in the context of the modern world and making the learning process more memorable and engaging.
- Active Teach methods are employed using interactive whiteboard tools, DVD, audio, transcripts, dictionary and additional resources encouraging heads up learning.
Textbook Series: Cutting Edge (Published by Pearson Education)
Program content includes:
- The discussion of contemporary global issues, providing authenticity and an international perspective.
- Writing lessons for real life use - emails, letters, reports, etc.
- Study, Practice, Remember sections which provide integrated language summaries and practice exercises.
- Clear language aims and objectives linked to CEFR, the global scale for English.
- Directed self-study sessions and English Lab with feedback functionality and exercises, allowing students greater control of their learning.
- The Student DVD with audio and video plus transcripts which allows learners to review lessons and catch up if they miss a class.
Our General English programs are self-paced, with students assessed on weekly tasks, as well as a final test in week 10 in the four skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening, and grammar. Once a student has demonstrated the required competency, they will move up to the next level.
Full-time study involves 25 hours per week.
20 hours of face-to-face tuition and 5 hours of directed self- study and teacher supervised activities.
Christmas Break - Our last GE class for 2018 is the 14th of December. Classes will resume on the 7th of January 2019.
Program commencement dates for 2019
|Weeks 1-5||Monday, 7 January 2019||Friday, 8 February 2019|
|Weeks 6-10||Monday, 11 February 2019|
Friday, 15 March 2019
|Weeks 1-5||Monday, 18 March 2019||Thursday, 18 April 2019|
|Weeks 6-10||Tuesday, 23 April 2019||Friday, 24 May 2019|
|Weeks 1-5||Monday, 27 May 2019||Friday, 28 June 2019|
|Weeks 6-10||Monday, 1 July 2019||Friday, 2 August 2019|
|Weeks 1-5||Monday, 5 August 2019||Friday, 6 September 2019|
|Weeks 6-10||Monday, 9 September 2019||Friday, 11 October 2019|
|Weeks 1-5||Monday, 14 October 2019||Friday, 15 November 2019|
|Weeks 6-10||Monday, 18 November 2019||Friday, 20 December 2019|
|BREAK||Monday, 23 December 2019||Friday, 6 January 2020|
The below fees are based on an average per week cost.
- 2018 fees: $390 per week
- 2019 fees: $410 per week
Program related costs
|Text books||Allow AUD$ 50-$60 per semester|
|Processing fees payable for individual students (non refundable)|
No processing fee will apply for students returning to Bond University College within 12 months of leaving
|Student activities fee (AUD $) – payable by all students. Covers access to all|
Bond University facilities including computers, library, gymnasium, swimming
pool and sporting equipment, as well as a BBQ lunch for Bond University College
students every Wednesday