Further your career with a Master of Actuarial Science (Professional)
Notice: This program has been suspended, with Jan 2022 being the final intake of students. The following information is being retained for students currently enrolled in the program.
You may wish to consider our Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) program.
The upcoming semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they’re on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond’s exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
This program is not available to domestic students. Please see Master of Actuarial Science.
Never before have organisations around the world had such extraordinary access to personal information, health statistics, buying habits, population movement, employment trends and much, much more. In these numbers lie the answers to the big questions that really matter.
Studying a Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) at Bond will develop a diverse skill set that can be transferred across numerous industries and disciplines around the world. If you enjoy mathematics and want to develop high-level quantitative analysis skills and use them to solve problems in a business content, then a career in Actuarial Science is a step in the right direction.
For students without a related undergraduate degree, the Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) is a 92-week program which covers all university components of Actuarial Part I (Foundation Program) qualification with the Actuaries Institute.
Campus and Bond University Experience
For the past 15 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, the Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
Bond Business School brings industry into the classroom, providing a personalised educational experience, combining studies with a transformative life experience. As a Bond student you will have access to an array of networking opportunities including the Bond Business Leaders Forum and Business Links which are a series of presentations from high profile Australian and International business leaders, providing invaluable provide invaluable development and networking opportunities for business professionals, the local community and beyond. Students at Bond Business School have access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer.
- Complete a 20-week Work Integrated Learning component in the final semester designed to support learning, personal development and professional practice
- Have the opportunity to gain industry experience while you study
- Be taught by leading academics who will actively mentor your progress
- Learn in small class sizes. Our high student to teacher ratio opens doors to industry placements, research projects, job opportunities and help whenever you need it
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours
- Access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer
- Have the opportunity to gain a Bloomberg certification during your degree and unlock your potential for more job opportunities in the global market
About the program
The Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) is an innovative and immersive program with an additional 20-week Professional component that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. Show more
The Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) is an innovative and immersive program with an additional 20-week Professional component that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) will be taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond Fin Tech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program will develop skills in the challenge of handling 'big data’ to create practical solutions for real-world problems. Employment opportunities include working as an investment analyst, portfolio manager, actuarial consultant, insurance actuary, superannuation actuary, risk analyst, big data analyst, liability manager and high-level manager. The successful completion of the program at an appropriate level of performance will lead to Part I qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
|Mode||On Campus and Remote|
Due to current travel restrictions, this program will temporarily be delivered using a mixture of on-campus, remote and multi-modal classes to support and engage all students, from all parts of the world.
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) program comprises 13 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (12)
- ACCT71-100 Accounting Principles
- ACSC71-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC71-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC71-301 Contingencies
- ACSC71-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC71-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC71-307 Survival Analysis
- ECON71-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON71-200 Linear Models and Applied Econometrics
- ECON71-202 Macroeconomics
- FINC71-601 Corporate Finance
- FINC71-603 Investments
Plus Professional subject (students must complete one (1) of the following subjects)
*Please note that the Professional Portfolio or Professional Development subject is a 20-week, 45-credit point subject and is taken in the last semester of the program once all other coursework subjects have been completed. The Career Development Centre will provide assistance in choosing the relevant professional subject prior to your last semester.
- Students can choose 4 General Elective Subjects (40CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
- Students may also use all of their electives to take a specialisation (4 Subjects) from the list below
- Data Analytics
- Health Management
- International Business
- Tourism and Hotel Management
- Please visit the Major, minor and specialisation study areas for guidance on specialisations.
Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires the Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee. Professional program fees include four standard full time semesters plus a final semester professional subject, which is charged at a different rate to a standard semester of coursework.
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $89,570
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Academic entry requirements
Entry into the Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) requires the completion of an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution and well-developed mathematical abilities.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
Bond Actuarial graduates are very well placed in the job market and the skills are highly transferrable between countries. The growing demand for quantitative business skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data they now have ready access to, particularly in applications of financial risk evaluation as well as other forms of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries.
A Master of Actuarial Science (Professional) will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Business Consulting
- Data Analytics and Predictive Algorithms
- E-Commerce and Digital Marketing
- Health Administration
- Quantitative Research and Infrastructure
- Risk Management
- Safety Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Statistical Inferences
- Superannuation and Lifetime Asset Management
- Technology Innovation
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employable as a:
- Business Efficiency Consultant
- Investment Valuation Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Hedge Fund Manager
- Actuarial Consultant
- Insurance Actuary
- Superannuation Actuary
- Regulatory Actuary
- Risk Assessment Analyst
- Data Science Analyst
- Liability Manager
- Pricing Associate
- Portfolio Analyst
Bond is one of only seven universities in Australia, the only one in Queensland, to offer the fully accredited program by the Actuaries Institute and has recognition agreements with the Society of Actuaries (worldwide).
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia who are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
At Bond, we believe education goes beyond the classroom. Our unique Beyond Bond program will expand your horizons with internships, global volunteering programs, international competitions, industry conferences, study tours, community service and much, much more.